Cichla intermedia - do these exist in the hobby?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
these are the smallest peaock specie correct, only reaching about 12"? Does anyone know why they are so rare-- if even present-- in the hobby? Does anyone know of any pics or descriptions of them that would differentiate them from other peacock species?

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
piranha45 said:
these are the smallest peaock specie correct, only reaching about 12"? Does anyone know why they are so rare-- if even present-- in the hobby? Does anyone know of any pics or descriptions of them that would differentiate them from other peacock species?

They are indeed rare because of the region where they are found and because they are very difficult to keep alive in home aquaria because they require a high level of oxygen to survive. There water must be kept in pristine condition if they are to stand even a chance of survival.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
GTS said:
They are indeed rare because of the region where they are found and because they are very difficult to keep alive in home aquaria because they require a high level of oxygen to survive. There water must be kept in pristine condition if they are to stand even a chance of survival.

Incorrect.

The fact of the matter is, they are just not imported.

Also, they get much larger then 12 inches.

intermedia.jpg

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
PeacockBass said:
Incorrect.

The fact of the matter is, they are just not imported.

Also, they get much larger then 12 inches.

The fish is shown in that picture is not the strain I was reffering to. The strain I am refering is found in certain fast flowing streams and was imported many years ago( most likely before you were born) but they did fare well tanks. They were considered along with ocellaris to be stocked to help control the spotted tilapa problem however their oxygen requirements were deemed to great so the ocellaris was choosen. They refered to them as intermedia however its possible they could have been mistaken seeing how they did not have the knowlegde we have today.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
GTS said:
The fish is shown in that picture is not the strain I was reffering to. The strain I am refering is found in certain fast flowing streams and was imported many years ago( most likely before you were born) but they did fare well tanks. They were considered along with ocellaris to be stocked to help control the spotted tilapa problem however their oxygen requirements were deemed to great so the ocellaris was choosen. They refered to them as intermedia however its possible they could have been mistaken seeing how they did not have the knowlegde we have today.

They stocked Ocellaris, Monoculus and TEMENSIS.

NO intermedia was ever imported in such case. Also, There is no "strain" of cichla that has different water quality requirments. You will not find a strain of Intermedia that will do well in low O2 levels and a strain that wont.

Please, find me a picture of this "other" strain.

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
PeacockBass said:
They stocked Ocellaris, Monoculus and TEMENSIS.

NO intermedia was ever imported in such case. Also, There is no "strain" of cichla that has different water quality requirments. You will not find a strain of Intermedia that will do well in low O2 levels and a strain that wont.

Please, find me a picture of this "other" strain.

I am aware of what they stocked. Although they did stock monos and temensis they mainly stocked ocellaris of this I am postive. Apparently they did not think much of temensis or monos as they make no mention of them being stocked to support a fishery. Which is most likely because ocellaris are the most temperature tolerant. Check the FWC website and you will find that when ever they mention peacock bass its ocellaris only. However If you were to talk to a biologist who was on the team who approved the stocking of peacock bass in the first place as I have then you would know that they did consider stocking intermedia as well. I am just telling you want he told me. That the strain of intermedia they tested was deemed unfit for stocking. Those were his words not mine. Whether or not it was some type of strain of intermedia or not I dont know I am just telling you what he told me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store