Cichlids to go with Australian Lungfish?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Specifically australian lungfish, would gars be too aggressive? no point in having a bichir if it displays the same behavior
They can be, but I've never really seen an aggressive gar other than an alligator gar. I think your smaller gar species aren't going to be too much of a problem.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I agree with SilverArowanaBoi SilverArowanaBoi in general cichlids and lungfish would not mix well. I haven't had any experience with lungfish except Australian Lungfish but from what I've read most Lungs can turn suddenly, literally go from peaceful to suddenly buting a fish in half. Other than that, many cichlids will be attracted to Lung appendages and pick at them. Then there's feeding, cichlids are fairly aggressive eaters while Lungs can be slow to locate and consume food so the Lung can be outcompeted for the food and slowly starve. That's definitely been my experience with my Australian Lung. My Aussy is very slow to find food and in a competitive environment I was forced to tong feed him or hand feed while trying to keep the other fish at bay.

Also as SilverArowanaBoi said most gars aren't all that aggressive except Gator Gars, predatory yes, aggressive not so much. They can also be slow to feed. They find food fast but Gars such as Florida's at least when it comes to pellets can't get many when competing with cichlids as they just inhale pellet after pellet. Gars do make good tankmates for at least IMHE Aussy Lungs. They both inhabit opposite strata of the water column in the aquarium. Making territory an unlikely problem as well as feeding. Gars can feed off the aquarium substrate but it's not their preferred, feeding location and vice versa is true for Lungs. So feeding floating and sinking foods easily handles that.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

LungfishLover1

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2023
What do
I agree with SilverArowanaBoi SilverArowanaBoi in general cichlids and lungfish would not mix well. I haven't had any experience with lungfish except Australian Lungfish but from what I've read most Lungs can turn suddenly, literally go from peaceful to suddenly buting a fish in half. Other than that, many cichlids will be attracted to Lung appendages and pick at them. Then there's feeding, cichlids are fairly aggressive eaters while Lungs can be slow to locate and consume food so the Lung can be outcompeted for the food and slowly starve. That's definitely been my experience with my Australian Lung. My Aussy is very slow to find food and in a competitive environment I was forced to tong feed him or hand feed while trying to keep the other fish at bay.

Also as SilverArowanaBoi said most gars aren't all that aggressive except Gator Gars, predatory yes, aggressive not so much. They can also be slow to feed. They find food fast but Gars such as Florida's at least when it comes to pellets can't get many when competing with cichlids as they just inhale pellet after pellet. Gars do make good tankmates for at least IMHE Aussy Lungs. They both inhabit opposite strata of the water column in the aquarium. Making territory an unlikely problem as well as feeding. Gars can feed off the aquarium substrate but it's not their preferred, feeding location and vice versa is true for Lungs. So feeding floating and sinking foods easily handles that.
What do you keep with your Aussie?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
What do

What do you keep with your Aussie?
Two Cuban Gars and a Franciscodoras Marmoratus is all I'm keeping with my Aussie currently. I have been thinking of adding a Polypertus Giselas.

Edit: And I've been thinking possibly a African Aro.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
like everyone has said, gars generally ok with lungfish especially when the lungfish is larger.

Two Cuban Gars and a Franciscodoras Marmoratus is all I'm keeping with my Aussie currently. I have been thinking of adding a Polypertus Giselas.

Edit: And I've been thinking possibly a African Aro.
Just wanted to inform you that “Polypterus giselas” is just Polypterus congicus from Lake Tanganyika (giselas bichir is the common name).

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Just wanted to inform you that “Polypterus giselas” is just Polypterus congicus from Lake Tanganyika (giselas bichir is the common name).
Thanks Hao Hao , I did not know that. I'd probably ask more but I don't want to derail the OP's thread. Perhaps I'll create my own to ask some questions. Again thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store