Cleaning aquarium glass

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I already know how to clean the outside of my aquarium. I take windex and wipe down the glass. What I'm having trouble with is the inside of my aquarium. A mystery substance keeps building up on the inside of the aquarium. I can't stand the look of it! I have to clean the inside of the glass at least once a week. I hate having to do it since my aquarium is 7' x 2' x 2'. Does anyone know what this substance may be? Any suggestions on how to stop it? I can't get pictures right now because I just cleaned it.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Can you describe it? Is it algae? Is it white?

It will remain a mystery until we get some details!

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
My guess would be one of the algaes, but as above need more information on what it looks like.

if it is algae apart from cutting all light out altogether (so you are unable to see fish at all) there is not really any way to stop it growing, you can manage the growth, but on all my tanks always I have to do some degree of glass cleaning every week or so to keep the tank clean.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Can you describe it? Is it algae? Is it white?

It will remain a mystery until we get some details!
The substance isn't very noticeable until it builds up into larger quantities. When on the glass it looks to be a translucent white. As more builds up, it becomes less translucent and more of a milky white, although it does lose some of the property, it still stays translucent in large quantities. When I scrub it off of the aquarium, it appears even less translucent, yet it does still retain the property.

I took a couple of photos of the substance. It is hard to notice, so I took my finger and rubbed it against the glass for comparison. It is still hard to spot even with the comparison. I'm sorry for the quality, but my camera refused to focus on the glass. It was more interested in the particles inside my aquarium.P1040756[1].JPG P1040757[1].JPG P1040758[1].JPG

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
The substance isn't very noticeable until it builds up into larger quantities. When on the glass it looks to be a translucent white. As more builds up, it becomes less translucent and more of a milky white, although it does lose some of the property, it still stays translucent in large quantities. When I scrub it off of the aquarium, it appears even less translucent, yet it does still retain the property.

I took a couple of photos of the substance. It is hard to notice, so I took my finger and rubbed it against the glass for comparison. It is still hard to spot even with the comparison. I'm sorry for the quality, but my camera refused to focus on the glass. It was more interested in the particles inside my aquarium.View attachment 1180020 View attachment 1180021 View attachment 1180022
It isn't Algae. I have green and brown Algae in that aquarium, so I know what it looks like. It can't be Algae because it can cover the entire aquarium in a week. No Algae I know of grows that fast. I also don't know of any Algae that is translucent.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Is it possibly a bacteria film, maybe even from the BB in the tank?

My tank does the same thing and I just use a mag-float to run over it and take it right off.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

My tank does the same thing and I just use a mag-float to run over it and take it right off.
I have an algae scraper. I think you see why I hate cleaning it.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

The mag-float is too much for me. My lfs charges $40 for it and amazon asks for $33.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I know it's expensive, but IMO it's well worth it. You can start with a smaller one and if you like it enough you can get one if the larger ones later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store