Constipated puffer.....

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Ok, so my puffer hasn't gone to the bathroom for the last couple days. His stomach is bloated (he hasn't eaten anything the last 2 days) and when I cleaned the tank today there was no BM to be found. Should I not feed him and wait a while or is there something else I should do? His colors have changed lately too. Normally he is lighter on top with a white belly. Lately he's darker which makes me think something is wrong.....

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
what did you last feed him?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
There is a possibility of either worms or bacterial infection, both can cause blockages. try paracide-d or something similar, also make sure that the tank isn't too cold.

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Tank is at 81. Posted a thread the other day about little worms.... Assuming planeria cause I have not seen any on my fish. Also, noticing something that looks like a web hanging on the one plant in the tank.... Any idea what this could be?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The wed is most likely snail slime. Planaria are probably the guys on the glass. Temp, is good. Still could be either internal worms, or bacteria (garbage gut). Wild caught or pond raised Paleometes shrimp sometimes serve as a host for both worms and bacteria. I would try the anti-parasite treatment first, then the anti-bacterial as the antibiotics are hard on your filter culture. The anti-parasite stuff also kills off planaria.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Paleos could also lead to a blockage as well. I'd suggest leaving him and see if he can pass it. If not try a food with a higher oil content as well.

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
guppy said:
The wed is most likely snail slime. Planaria are probably the guys on the glass. Temp, is good. Still could be either internal worms, or bacteria (garbage gut). Wild caught or pond raised Paleometes shrimp sometimes serve as a host for both worms and bacteria. I would try the anti-parasite treatment first, then the anti-bacterial as the antibiotics are hard on your filter culture. The anti-parasite stuff also kills off planaria.
Any particular medication best for scaleless fish? I've heard that they often do not respond as well as other fish.... Really appreciate all the help Guppy!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store