Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
jjohnwm jjohnwm
Found some crushed up ramshorn shell on the bottom:
image.jpg
There’s always empty shells, but I suppose a completely smashed up one helps the theory that they eat snails.

Reactions: DMD123 and tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
jjohnwm jjohnwm
Found some crushed up ramshorn shell on the bottom:
View attachment 1512886
There’s always empty shells, but I suppose a completely smashed up one helps the theory that they eat snails.
I missed this post somehow; yes, I found a similar "killing field" tucked away in my wolf's tank shortly after noticing that all the snails were gone. Haven't introduced any more snails since.

This species looks more and more imposing and impressive as it grows...but I must admit its quirks and foibles can get somewhat irritating at times as well...:)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I missed this post somehow; yes, I found a similar "killing field" tucked away in my wolf's tank shortly after noticing that all the snails were gone. Haven't introduced any more snails since.

This species looks more and more imposing and impressive as it grows...but I must admit its quirks and foibles can get somewhat irritating at times as well...:)
I introduced some pond and trumpet snails over the other day along with lots of hornwort - hopefully some make it (especially the mts, I don’t know how anyone can hate them). I still see the occasional ram or pond snail, but it’s always followed up with a new shell.
It’s not that I mind using a thick rubber glove and razor blade on algae…it’s just that he already poked a few holes in the glove so now it fills up with water. I guess he was jealous that I never had to get my hands wet with his tank.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Too all the other red wolf owners - do yours ever get scarred up on their heads by jumping into the roof? Periodically mine will get some damage around where his eyes are, presumably from trying to get some nonexistent food at the surface and slamming into the roof.
It never affects him and always heals within a few days, but I am curious if there’s a way to prevent this.
floating plants :)

Reactions: jjohnwm and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Been a minute since the last update…
He’s at about 8 inches now, I’m curious to see how much bigger he’ll get. Still eating like a pig,m - when I got him just 3-4 small pellets would fatten him up, now he takes 8 food sticks and probably could take more before looking fat at all.
Seems to be better with biting too, I can stick my hand in during water changes and he stays away.
Still impossible to get a good picture though.
IMG_1206.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store