Decision Time do I go to Fluval FX 5 or ehiem

robr0924

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
magnolia
Overview bit long winded, sorry.

I have been considering a new canister filter for my 240 gal. Currently I am running 2 fluval 405's, 3 AQUA CLEAR 402's power heads. In the tank are, 7 yrs old Silver Arrowana 18" to 20", Tiger Oscar 7" (fat), Texas Cichlid 5", Peacock Bass (will only eat live feeders) 4", shovel nose tiger cat 6", albino pleco 12", blk pleco 16", 2 blk plecos 8" and two Chinese algae eaters 4" each. (pics are in my profile)

I have run up to 4 x fluval 405's and 5 or 6 402 power heads. But it was overkill and two 405's took a dump and need new impellers and the little piece that holds the impeller in place, I still have them just need to repair.

I have been in this format since 2005, and before that same set up just fluval 304 and 303 both old filters lasted till I sold them after my upgrade. And I have not had any issues. I run carbon and amino in the extra chambers and water change monthly and deep clean quarterly or as needed.

Lately, I have been feeding more live feeders (once weekly) and alternate frozen bait shrimp/green peas, and regular diet of cichlid pellets every other 2 days. My tank is clear and I have not lost a fish in years unless the Arrowana gets them ;~), but the plecos put out a lot of waste so after two weeks there is small bits debris floating in the tank. I have an antique diatom (DE filter) that I run during water changes. Which will get the tank spotless, but it is loud, hard to set up, and leaks occasionally (wife is not down with that).

So I want to have a pristine tank all the time and not the 2 to 3 weeks after. And I plan on moving the 2 smaller pleco's to my pond shortly.

Also, I have found a 125 gallon tank that I plan on buying and moving the 405’s to it. Will the FX5 get the job done that I want for my 240? Or leave the 405’s in place and add the fx5 to mix. Native Texan here, I want it big and believe in over kill.

Just got a bonus so money is not a factor, but I am a cheap bastard. But I believe you get what you pay for.

Cringing :naughty:

What are your thoughts please don’t flame. I just got here.
Rob

Hasi

Go hard, or go home
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
Australia
The efficiency and work rate of the eheim 2260 is superb, great suction especially if plumbed through the base - in my opinion I would not buy anything else. However there are threads comparing the FX5 and the Eheims so check them out.

The trick is to have bottom dwellers to shuffle through the gravel/bottom and lift the debris constantly so that the in-take of the filter can collect the floating particles.

This will work a treat with your stock.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
FX5 - FTW

EvilKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
SOUTHERN CALI.
id go fx5 having owned both, the fluval is worth the money and easier to get parts for then the eheim. if you break anything on an eheim or need a replacement part it takes a week minimum to get it (can your fish wait without filtration that long?) and thats if its not on back order if it is then your looking at 3 weeks minimum. only real upside to it is its quiet really quiet like you don't know its even on and the fx5 has a lil hum to it but only up close disappears about 5 or 6 feet away so good luck on your choice hope that helps a bit

ortiz_02

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2009
Arizona
i got an fx5 for 234 with shipping on ebay, i also won another one bt i dont want it its for 255 free shipping, pmd me maybe we can work something out with the 255 one, oh it comes with water polishing pads and carbon, its new

robr0924

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
magnolia
Thanks for all the feedback. I am still shopping Uncle Sam and a significant other have attacked my wallet last night. ;~)

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I think bigger tanks should be looking at something more heavy duty than a myriad of canister filters. One big filter is less work than many small ones. 240 gal is pushing the limits of most canister filters.

My suggestion is to get an Ocean Clear 354, a separate pump, and plumb it with 1" ID hose. It's a small bead filter, something which is popular with ponds, aquaculture, and perhaps even swimming pools. In those "upsize" applications, separate pumps and filters are the norm.

The main benefit is ease of cleaning. You just shut off the pump, flip a few valves, connect a hose, and backwash the media inside the filter while draining the tank. You'll be done in less time than it takes to even crack one canister filter open. You'll never have to open up a filter and clean the media again. You can even backwash the media in between water changes. Exporting the debris before it can decompose into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates is the best option. Otherwise, filters only hide the debris out of site. It's still in the water column and thus will decompose. Hence the plethora of self-cleaning and backwashable filters for ponds, public aquariums, and other large systems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store