DIY monster acrylic tank

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
20150519_150758.jpg

i was set on upgrading from my 250 or so gallon plywood tank since it started to show signs of rot. so i wanted to build the most cost efficient acrylic tank i could think of.
this is a 225 gallon tank made out of two 4x8 sheets of cell cast acrylic at 1/2 inch.

dimensions are 96x30x18 i wanted to post a video of this tank for a while but didnt have time.

i was told by glass cages that this tank would cost me roughly 2500$ +600$ shipping. this whole project cost me roughly 1300$ for everything! took about 3 days to prepare the edges and 2 days to cement the pieces together. in my opinion this tank turned out great :).

if you enjoy the video like and sub!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wow. Awesome diy tank!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Where did u get the acrylic from, if you don't mind me asking? Was 1/2 inch thickness recommended?

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Where did u get the acrylic from, if you don't mind me asking? Was 1/2 inch thickness recommended?
i got the acrylic from the only place i could in my town which is Canada Glass, yes half inch was the recommended thickness according to the calculator that i used. i also added a very strong euro brace

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Awesome that is impressive and nice stock. I'm currently thinking about building a large footprint tank. Was it unreasonable difficult to work with the acrylic? I've sanded and buffed acrylic and cut holes but never welded them together .

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Awesome that is impressive and nice stock. I'm currently thinking about building a large footprint tank. Was it unreasonable difficult to work with the acrylic? I've sanded and buffed acrylic and cut holes but never welded them together .
i can tell you that with an 8 foot long tank keeping it completely straight ended up being a little bit harder than i expected it to be, but all in all if you plan ahead and keep it stable it will be very easy.

i have quite a few bubble in my seems which isnt good but its been holding strong for a few months, i'm not too worried.

working with acrylic easy that im thinking about building a 4x4x2 now !!

Reactions: born2lovefish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store