Does Your Knife Fish Make Sounds?

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Since adding the black ghost knife fish to the crew I have noticed strange sounds coming from her tank. It only happens at night and it's difficult to describe... somewhere between a click and a gulp? It's fairly infrequent and isn't terribly loud but it is audible from about 15 feet away.

Not sure what the purpose is. Perhaps it's like singing is for birds, to mark territory or attract a mate.

Anyone else observed their knives vocalizing? Any idea what it means?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Since adding the black ghost knife fish to the crew I have noticed strange sounds coming from her tank. It only happens at night and it's difficult to describe... somewhere between a click and a gulp? It's fairly infrequent and isn't terribly loud but it is audible from about 15 feet away.

Not sure what the purpose is. Perhaps it's like singing is for birds, to mark territory or attract a mate.

Anyone else observed their knives vocalizing? Any idea what it means?

Yes Knives are vocal they utilize echolocation especially at night.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yes Knives are vocal they utilize echolocation especially at night.
They usually use electrosensory organs to navigate, never heard of actual noises.

African knives are known to make noises, but belong to a whole different group of knifefish.

ghostfacedflipper

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2024
Mine do too. It's like a loud click or snap and they use the surface to do it. It's super loud. Sorry I don't have an answer, I came here to find out the same thing.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My Papyrocranus afer makes grunting sounds when it squabbles with other fish in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store