Electric blue acara growth?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
First time pulling and raising fry! I’ve managed to net out a few fry in the past but they were already pretty well started when I spotted them and got them out! I had to pull the fry while they were wigglers- 5 days ago (new parents) after my breeding our te first two *****es today the fry are exactly 1 week from hatching out I’m wondering how big they should be? I only started feeding about 2 days ago when they became free swimming and egg sack looked to be gone Noticed a total of 5 dead as of yesterday! Is that bad? I’m not sure if from moving them or what I noticed a couple were swimming on their side se 1-2 that re still swimming alittle funny (well over 100 fry in tank!) let me know any tips or tricks for water changes feeding how many fry I can expect to loose etc.

0BADA3B2-1112-4726-B72A-96C003B13953.jpeg

545EB819-57B4-481F-BB2E-A9168C2845DD.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
IMG_6438.jpeg
Above is Sept, below Oct
IMG_7197.jpeg
Below is Jan.
IMG_0237.jpeg
For me the major factors for speedy growth for any species of Andinoacara (any cichlid for that matter), are/is constant algae growth throughout the tank for grazing, and frequent water changes .
I try to change 30% to 40%, every other day.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
First time pulling and raising fry! I’ve managed to net out a few fry in the past but they were already pretty well started when I spotted them and got them out! I had to pull the fry while they were wigglers- 5 days ago (new parents) after my breeding our te first two *****es today the fry are exactly 1 week from hatching out I’m wondering how big they should be? I only started feeding about 2 days ago when they became free swimming and egg sack looked to be gone Noticed a total of 5 dead as of yesterday! Is that bad? I’m not sure if from moving them or what I noticed a couple were swimming on their side se 1-2 that re still swimming alittle funny (well over 100 fry in tank!) let me know any tips or tricks for water changes feeding how many fry I can expect to loose etc.

View attachment 1526516

View attachment 1526517
Congrats

Noticed a total of 5 dead as of yesterday! Is that bad?
No
What are you feeding and how often?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
5 dead fry is about par for the course.
If you feed only a couple large meals per day, this might contribute to death, because the digestive tracks are too undeveloped for large meals
In nature fry "constantly" feed on small amounts.
So I try to feed multiple "small meals' during daylight 5 or more if possible, supplemented with the algae grazing.

Last edited:

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Losing just 5 in few days is nothing. The survival rate of tiny egg layer fry is always lower than larger mouth brooder or live bearer fry, but the larger fry population makes up for greater loss. I’m also currently raising EBA fry, and have already lost about half in 2 weeks starting from 50+ fry. I expect greater loss as EBA is a weaker strain similar to other electric blue mutants. I wonder if all fry will grow up to electric blue or a percentage will revert to wild color.

I don’t net out my fry but find it easier to siphon them out to raise in a separate quarter whey they are free swimming. If there are no predatory tankmates, letting the parents to take care of them for as long as they are willing will get you higer survival rate. I feed new fry with crushed flake food and live daphnia if available in warm season which I culture in outdoor tubs.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Losing just 5 in few days is nothing. The survival rate of tiny egg layer fry is always lower than larger mouth brooder or live bearer fry, but the larger fry population makes up for greater loss. I’m also currently raising EBA fry, and have already lost about half in 2 weeks starting from 50+ fry. I expect greater loss as EBA is a weaker strain similar to other electric blue mutants. I wonder if all fry will grow up to electric blue or a percentage will revert to wild color.

I don’t net out my fry but find it easier to siphon them out to raise in a separate quarter whey they are free swimming. If there are no predatory tankmates, letting the parents to take care of them for as long as they are willing will get you higer survival rate. I feed new fry with crushed flake food and live daphnia if available in warm season which I culture in outdoor tubs.
Agree, the weak are best weeded out.
Whenever i could, I would raise cichlid fry outside (weather permitting) in ponds, beside the natural algae growth.
Dragon fry larvae would naturally weed out the undesirable weak fry, leaving only the most robust, and cleaning up the carcasses.
1695298096671.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store