Fish Concerns

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
If it catches them they are gone, all of the crays can kill fish larger than themselves.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
If they sleep on the bottom they will be food. I've often seen warnings on the larger crayfish that says "will eat tank mates" :WHOA:

Gooda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Its true. They need to be in a tank with fast moving, top dwelling fish. But even that is no gurantee. They will eat feederfish without a problem. So it would be a good idea to feed sinking pellets so that they are less apt to "hunt" and more likely to scavenge. And if you do keep fish in the tank with it, don't get terribly attached to them.

By the way. If your buying it from where I think your getting it (petco) make sure that you inspect it for leaches.

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
i would suggest not putting in a crayfish for the simple fact that if it doesnt kill ur fish it could still def hurt your fish....they can rip fins up and even tear out the fish eyes which will in most cases lead to death depending on the shoal.....its not worth it once the crayfish sluffs it will end up a meal for almost any type of fish.....so i say no

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
my oscar loves to eat crayfish... I catch them in the local river/stream .

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
your fish will be eaten if they are housed with a crayfish. the ones that i have kept have eaten: 3" LM bass, 4" glod gourami, and some other fish that i dont remember right now.

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
I have never seen a tank with these that didn't have badly ripped up fish, probably the only safe fish are ones that are big enough to eat it! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store