Found fish dead with mouth open. What caused this?

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
So my friend sent me a text and said his new fish died. He bought a baby GT and A baby jag. They were in a 10 gallon tank i gave him. He used a old filter i gave him with a used filter cartridge and i gave him some gravel. The tank rain for 4 days with no fish. He said the 2 fish were chasing each other all day and night but both were fine this morn. He got home and the jag was dead wiht its mouth ope. He wanted to know what this meant and how it was caused. He also said he tested the tank and found nothing wrong with the water parameters. Is this lockjaw or something else as ive never seen it b4? i said the GT probly stressed the jag to death.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Why would you advise him that stock in the first place? That was a accident waiting to happen. Can you tell your friend write the water params so we could see them?

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
this is the same person i sold my previous jag to. he wanted to grow 2 new fish out to put in his 55 and then later on into his 300 gallon. It was the only tank i had available to give him. He doesnt have an account for the site so i decided to post it to see what ppl thought. The other fish are all fine i went over 2 his house the gt is eating and swimming fine. I would have put them in my bichirs spare tank cuz ther waiting for my new tank to set up but they would kill his 2 lil fish. Any ideas?

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
How big are your bichirs? Mine are petty mild tempered an are only aggressive when I feed.

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
They can be pretty nasty towards small fish thats about it and the 2 fish he bought were about an inch. They'd be gone like that.

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
He's going to return the fish and wants to know if he should get a lil bit bigger jag cuz the dead one was smaller than the gt or should he try a different fish like a jd

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
i could see the tank being uncycled as the problem but it was tested by me again 10 mins ago and the ph is 7, the ammonia is 0 as well as the nitrites and nitrates. Thats the reason why i gave him used dirty gravel, used filter with a cartridge that was on my 20 gallon. tank has plenty of aeration. If it was the water the test would have showed that. Frankly i told him not to buy another fish but he said he was gonna try another fish. I'm gonna test the water again in a day or 2 just to make sure. I've set tanks up b4 and thrown fish in them with no problems while using used equipment

spyke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2009
could be a lack of oxygen...i have had this happen to some stupid bettas and a tetracanthus...when they can't breath their gills flare out and mouths open and die...yeah, made a funny betta tank, and the bettas got stuck under this glas panel and couldn't breath the air...so they died....sad day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store