Geophagus

MCAM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2024
Looking to add fish to my 120 gallon aquarium, 48x24x24. Wandering if a group of 3 to 5 Geophagus Sveni will work in my tank. Also considering instead of the Sveni a group of Red head Tapajos.

With the Red heads, finding them hard to find where the Sveni`s I can get easier. Also hearing that Red Heads can be aggresive where Sveni are more clam.

Currently have 10 Columbian Red Fins, 6 Congos and 2 Electric Blue Acara. My PH is 7.6 and it`s a planted aquarium with Swords, crypts, anubias and jungle val.

MCAM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2024
Yeah guess I'll see if I can find a group of Red Heads. Not sure if a group of 5. 1 male and 4 female, unless I can do a bigger group. Assuming that should work with this setup. If not, please let me know. Also, any thoughts about doing 1 fire cichlids with this.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Fire mouths are one of the Central American (Mexican) earth eating equivalents to S American Geophagines.
And much like the Geos, are a social species that will show its most natural behaviors is shoal of 4 to 6, and that shoal just might work in your tank.
They are hardly ever found in waters with a pH of under 7.5, so if your water is hard with a higher pH, they may be a good choice.
Some other Central American geophagine equivalents are from the genus Cribroheros.
Below Cribroheros rostratus.

Reactions: tlindsey and MCAM
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store