Getting shocked

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
So i went downstairs to do some maintenance on the 600 gallon... reached into the sump to replace filter socks and got shocked pretty good.... i have no idea what it could be...thinking maybe one of my heaters are faulty even tho the light indicates that both or working well.....could be a striped cord.....so i unpluged one of the heaters to see if it was it ...gonna check on it tom morning. It cant be that bad if all the fish are doing perfectly fine.

Anyone have this happen or have any ideas on what it could be ?

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Yea im def gonna get some rubber gloves.... the sumps are above ground so return pump is actually in the tank exiting into the tank and then being gravity fed back

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
That's scary. I had a pacu chew partially thru a electric cord to the point you could see exposed copper but pump was still running with no noticeable discharge in water but that was the only close one I've had

Last edited:

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
That's scary. I had a pacu chew partially chew thru a electric cord to the point you could see exposed copper but pump was still running with no noticeable discharge in water but that was the only close one I've had
Im thinking one of the fish bit thru one of the cords as well.... not many fish in the tank that have teeth so its questionible

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I've been hit by a discharge off my pond that came from a rubber insulation band that had slipped off my UV unit. If you have any of those on your equipment you might want to check them.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Not uncommon for a heater to do this. I recently went through the same thing with a 250w Aqueon Pro heater. It had water in it and was shorting out into the tank. Aqueon sent me a new heater for free. All I had to do was look them up on the interwebs and email them.

Reactions: knobhill
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store