Getting a scorpionfish off of live - could use some advice

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
For over 2 months now I’ve been trying to get my Pygmy red roosterfish to accept anything but live ghost shrimp (and amphipods). If I’m lucky, he will take the occasion piece of mysis, bloodworm, or salmon, but that’s about it (and he has recently not even made an attempt at those items). He’s eaten dead ghost shrimp, but strangely not the frozen river shrimp I have (same size). I can’t imagine that only ghost shrimp counts as a “varied diet.” Gotta wait at least another few months before I have a sufficient endler population to start using them as feeders (turns out that if you go away for 2 weeks and don’t feed the frog he will decide that fish taste better than snails).
I know a common option is to starve the fish, but at only an inch I’m not sure how long I can wait. I’ve tried fishing line, tweezers, a pipet, and waving food around like it’s alive and nothing gets his attention.
Any ideas on how I can get him to accept any other foods? He’s been sitting in quarantine much longer than I would like, but I don’t feel comfortable moving him into the display with lots of competition until I know he eats.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Stay persistent with 1 method like feeding tongs… it takes a while for fish to get used to u getting in the tank with an object and shoving it in their face lol… use the live ghost shrimp on the tongs 1st also. Once they get comfortable hitting the tongs u can start switching the food up. It gets disappointing for a while but just keep doing it and eventually the consistency will pay off for ya. My hardest to break were 2 pike… it took a solid year of prodding them with shrimp on tongs to no avail. One day they figured it out and would eat off the tongs or just throwing it in. Its amazing how hard it is with some fish… until the day its not lol… good luck 💀🤙

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store