Have you guys ever seen/heard of cross breeding crickets?

TheHolyArachnid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
Spiderweb
The title says it all.

Today I met up with an old friend of mine. He told me he cross bred house crickets and field crickets. I didn't believe him because it was hard enough to cross breed fish lol.

I went to his house and checked them out, I was shocked. They all had different colors, and they were aggressive. He told me he cross bred them for almost 4 years and it worked. Field cricket x house cricket. It was bizarre.

I was a little stunned when he told me he feeds them fruit flies and anything outside.

Anyways have you guys ever heard/seen this?
1000940.jpg1000942o.jpg1000945uo.jpg

1000940.jpg

1000942o.jpg

1000945uo.jpg

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
there is often a lot of variability in hybrids and they shortly show that. I believe you. The house crickets are a type of field cricket. There are numerous species of field crickets. they are all in the same subfamily so it could be possible.
Any chance of pictures of the parent species? Does he know if they are fertile?
Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CheckyWolfe

Feeder Fish
Aug 27, 2023
I'd really love to know which two were bred for this, i currently have wild black field crickets, theyre massive and supposedly aggressive but these guys are just spooked, no bite attempts at all, ive got banded (tropical house) crickets and the very weak house crickets petsmart sells, I have no interest in hybridizing this variety due to how fast they die. I hope to produce a very long lived cricket, as bandeds are more harty than house crickets but still live shorter than the black field crickets, wanting to keep them alive longer so they can both be bred and kept for feeding off later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store