USA
Fishman Dave Fishman Dave thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Theres only really been 3 confirmed species available in the hobby so far. P. Fasciatum, P. Tigrinum and P. Corruscans. Off a first glance these may appear to actually be P. Tigrinum but i need an overhead shot to identify/confirm the head shape. They do look a bit different than the typical and most available p. Fasciatum juvies. 9 times out of 10 anything offered is fasciatum. Is this a U.S. based seller/vendor and do you happen to have any other pictures?

Jiyowel

ATF Master in Training
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Theres only really been 3 confirmed species available in the hobby so far. P. Fasciatum, P. Tigrinum and P. Corruscans. Off a first glance these may appear to actually be P. Tigrinum but i need an overhead shot to identify/confirm the head shape. They do look a bit different than the typical and most available p. Fasciatum juvies. 9 times out of 10 anything offered is fasciatum. Is this a U.S. based seller/vendor and do you happen to have any other pictures?
No I don't have the overhead shot but here's another picture of them.. They have long spoony mouth. They also have less stripes. Tigrinum or Reticulatum would be my guess.They are labeled as Punctifer. I'm from Asia btw

Screenshot_2024-05-01-01-09-53-587_com.facebook.orca.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
No I don't have the overhead shot but here's another picture of them.. They have long spoony mouth. They also have less stripes. Tigrinum or Reticulatum would be my guess.They are labeled as Punctifer. I'm from Asia btw

View attachment 1541348
Appreciate the bit of extra info… since ur not in the US theres a better chance there not Fasciatum lol… Tigrinum has the most elongated/duck bill type head from overhead. Its very easy to distinguish. These guys are close, as that was my first guess. They look a bit off to me for Tigrinum tho. The chance of them being hybrids is pretty strong these days. Corruscans, tigrinum, reticulatum and fasciatum are all interbred for hybrids. Id gamble on one myself and see what it turns into. There def. Not the normal run of the mill fasciatum IMO. Ive owned reticulatum and a corruscansxreticulatum hybrid. There hard to tell apart until they grow around 24” but these guys could very well be reticulatum. Id about rule out punctifer all together.

Jiyowel

ATF Master in Training
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Appreciate the bit of extra info… since ur not in the US theres a better chance there not Fasciatum lol… Tigrinum has the most elongated/duck bill type head from overhead. Its very easy to distinguish. These guys are close, as that was my first guess. They look a bit off to me for Tigrinum tho. The chance of them being hybrids is pretty strong these days. Corruscans, tigrinum, reticulatum and fasciatum are all interbred for hybrids. Id gamble on one myself and see what it turns into. There def. Not the normal run of the mill fasciatum IMO. Ive owned reticulatum and a corruscansxreticulatum hybrid. There hard to tell apart until they grow around 24” but these guys could very well be reticulatum. Id about rule out punctifer all together.
Very well said.. yeah I'll get the one in front cause I'm curious what they really are lol. I saw them 2 weeks ago at 4 inches now they are 5-6".

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
The one at the front does look an interesting one with the slightly upturned mouth and “different” tail, but the others don’t appear to have this, which makes me feel they are most likely standard p.fasciatum. But nowadays it seems farms are continually crossing and hence even location becomes irrelevant.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great ID discussion guys!

Here is a thread from Jonathan_G Jonathan_G and H HELIOX who are both in Asia and who think they keep punctifer. I wonder what wednesday13 wednesday13 thinks of this?

Reactions: AR1

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Great ID discussion guys!

Here is a thread from Jonathan_G Jonathan_G and H HELIOX who are both in Asia and who think they keep punctifer. I wonder what wednesday13 wednesday13 thinks of this?

im on that thread Vik 💀💪 lol…. Completly forgot about it tho 😂. Seems to still be the only p. Punctifer recorded on here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store