help with irregular silver arowaba

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
greetings all, recently i bought some jg val for my large 250g and j noticed that my silver has taken a liking to it, he often hides in it but i’ve noticed him chilling on the filter intake of my fx6 which is inside the val, he is very healthy and seems to be able to get out of the suction, whenever i walk over he immediately gets out of the suctions and starts swimming normally at the surface, is this any concern? he looks like a dead fish but he’s perfectly fine, this only happened after i added the plants

View attachment IMG_2558.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2559.jpeg

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I had a young arowana that would do that maybe 20 years ago. Too long ago for me to recall if he had an issue or not but yeah, I've seen the behavior before and wouldn't let it scare me though I'd watch that fish. Were I to suspect anything it would be an internal parasite that might be making it a little lethargic compared to normal.

That baby should like the water's surface and it should be moving. Arowana like a very mild current and an FX6's intake is a little more than what I'd suspect them to prefer. An FX6 intake at the bottom of the tank seems more unusual. It's also unusual that the val isn't being sucked up by the FX6. That seem odd to you? Have you considered moving the val?

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
I had a young arowana that would do that maybe 20 years ago. Too long ago for me to recall if he had an issue or not but yeah, I've seen the behavior before and wouldn't let it scare me though I'd watch that fish. Were I to suspect anything it would be an internal parasite that might be making it a little lethargic compared to normal.

That baby should like the water's surface and it should be moving. Arowana like a very mild current and an FX6's intake is a little more than what I'd suspect them to prefer. An FX6 intake at the bottom of the tank seems more unusual. It's also unusual that the val isn't being sucked up by the FX6. That seem odd to you? Have you considered moving the val?
the water flow in my tank is usually high but where it converges there's a stale water area where he likes to stay, he doesn't move too much and sometimes I see him just staying in one spot, very active during feeding though. he is still a bit nervous around me and other people but he is very young. where would an fx6 intake be placed? i was informed for the bottom. the fx6's suction power doesn't seem that strong and the jg val are pretty large,I haven't thought about moving the val since it was a very new addition. i placed the val there to cover up the sight of the fx6 intake and since the flow runs from there outwards.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store