How "monster" can I go?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hi guys/gals! First time poster, long time lurker. I've been in the fish keeping hobby for a couple years now and have bought and sold every size aquarium from 10 gallon up to this 125 you see in the picture. This is in my office so I can't go much longer. This aquarium is at around the 3 or 4 week stage of the cycle so I'm just waiting for my nitrites to fall off. My ammonia is 0 and nitrites are on the way down. I'll be ready for fish soon so I need to start planning my stock. I'm running 2 large Sunsun cannisters rated for 550 gph each. I'm not really sure what they actually run with media on board.

So, how monster can I go? I know that 125 is fairly small so I'm planning on keeping the medium to large South/Central American cichlids. I think my question is how many can I stock and which species will be compatible. I'm looking for your recommendations on little monsters. I love the blue and red (finding a red texas would be like hitting the lotto) texas cichlids, red terrors, jacks, jaguars (prob. need a bigger tank for a jag), and black nastys. If you can think of some other species that would be great. I want some of the larger cichlids but nothing like say a dovii. Also, I don't want this to be a 2-3 fish aquarium or I would just get a red star flowerhorn (fav fish of all time). Also, I LOVE Polypterus delhezi but could I keep something like that with these other fish?

Thank you for your time!

123.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey and ehh

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
You know your an MFK when 125 and small are used in the same sentence!

Are you looking to go wet pet biotope, or assorted specimens / oddballs?
Really not set on anything honestly. I just don't want dainty fish this go around.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
*It's in your office and most likely your tank got a lot of attention from your clients, so I would setup a active community tank, it easier for any viewers and relax them down while waiting for their turn :p
*With that in mind I would consider group Geophagus, Firemounth, Red Severum, Blush Angelfish (these Angel max size around 6 inches), Barb species like Filament barb, Denision Barb, Rainbow species.
**If you can setup an Biotope, planted tank then it would be nice too but It's require more maintain.

Reactions: jwd and tlindsey

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
*It's in your office and most likely your tank got a lot of attention from your clients, so I would setup a active community tank, it easier for any viewers and relax them down while waiting for their turn :p
*With that in mind I would consider group Geophagus, Firemounth, Red Severum, Blush Angelfish (these Angel max size around 6 inches), Barb species like Filament barb, Denision Barb, Rainbow species.
**If you can setup an Biotope, planted tank then it would be nice too but It's require more maintain.
I just sold off my 90 gallon planted aquarium and replaced it with this 125. I had so many plants it was hard to find the fish. I got bored with it because I kept neons etc. This go around I want cichlids.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think you should come up with a combinations of three or so cichlids you're interested in and get feed back on those possible mixes.
Mixing big cichlids is a toss up though. Some fish will not tolerate tank mates regardless of tank size.

Reactions: jwd

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I just sold off my 90 gallon planted aquarium and replaced it with this 125. I had so many plants it was hard to find the fish. I got bored with it because I kept neons etc. This go around I want cichlids.
I wouldn't recommend Neon species for tank bigger than 40G, you ask why? Because you will need a HUGE shoal like thousand of them in 100G+ to see it true beauty :) and it's does cost couple thousand dollars which not many aquarist would want to spend that much on a tiny fish.
I also, recommended on previous post about Geophagus species, these community cichlid always out going and active during daytime, if you want a community tank then there are many species will live happily in your 125G, if you want something more aggressive then the stock list is very limited and usually ended up with a single solo species. I setup a community tank for my sister law office and her client more happy seeing a peaceful, calm, active tank while waiting rather than her previous setup with a pair aggressive Jaguar (Parachromis Managuensis).

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I think you should come up with a combinations of three or so cichlids you're interested in and get feed back on those possible mixes.
Mixing big cichlids is a toss up though. Some fish will not tolerate tank mates regardless of tank size.
For now I'd say Texas, Jags, and Electric Blue Jacks. I'll come up with a couple other combos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store