I made the mistake of treating my Motorola ray with copper

FishyTJ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2016
I had a scare after seeing ich in my display tank on three other fish and treated the 275 gallons with enough copper safe for a 200 gallon tank. The ray now has what looks like raised black spots throughout the body and small patches of light brown tear drop shaped spots about the size of large ich under her eyes and along other parts of her body (predominately the eyes). I'm currently doing a large water change after rereading the specifics of which medicines are safe for rays. Does anyone have any advice? I should have been more cautious but I misread a thread saying there was a hype on medications hurting rays

IMG_4420.JPG

Reactions: M@T!@$

FishyTJ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2016
Also substrate looks very rough in the picture but her belly hasn't shown any signs of being scratched and she happily covers herself in it

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had a scare after seeing ich in my display tank on three other fish and treated the 275 gallons with enough copper safe for a 200 gallon tank. The ray now has what looks like raised black spots throughout the body and small patches of light brown tear drop shaped spots about the size of large ich under her eyes and along other parts of her body (predominately the eyes). I'm currently doing a large water change after rereading the specifics of which medicines are safe for rays. Does anyone have any advice? I should have been more cautious but I misread a thread saying there was a hype on medications hurting rays

View attachment 1206790

Any products that contain copper is not to be used in aquariums containing saltwater sharks or ray's. Tbh don't really know for sure if it applies to freshwater rays.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
The little black spots are normal on rays, I think you will be fine after doing some water changes and flushing it out of the system, If the ray is still eating and seems more or less normal i think your fine, just keep up with the water changes. We all do something stupid now and then and sometimes we save ourselves from it and sometimes not, hopefully your going to be all good.

Reactions: FishyTJ

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
Run carbon too. That will pull any left over traces of copper

Reactions: FishyTJ
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store