I want to move fish to my pond

Michaelhonda

Feeder Fish
Mar 15, 2022
I have 2 red belly pacu's that i want to move to my pond outside but my tank is warm water and my pond is cold can someone please help me to acclimate them like im just struggling to find out how and how long and should i keep thm in th tank and let the tank slowly get cold or should i drip acclimate them

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How cold does the pond get? Too cold and they shouldn’t be in there at all.
Otherwise, all you can do is acclimate them by slowly reducing their current temp to that of the pond.

Michaelhonda

Feeder Fish
Mar 15, 2022
How cold does the pond get? Too cold and they shouldn’t be in there at all.
Otherwise, all you can do is acclimate them by slowly reducing their current temp to that of the pond.
It gets a bit cold at night and in the morning...but during the day its under the sun it build up heat not sure if thats okey to put them in

Muckfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2022
At 13c I don’t think they are going to move much or feed at all. 20c I’m not even sure if they would thrive… survive probably but their true behavior wouldn’t really be there.

My Pacu stop feeding in the winter around 21c and below they really slow down. 26c and above they’ll start feeding. This has been my experience and observations. I’m sure this can differ and fish may adapt when they have no other choice. At your temps I think supplemental heat would be beneficial if you want to make the pacu thrive.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
M Michaelhonda have you tried it? What is the outcome?

I'd predict the pacu would get lethargic at best, sick or dead at worst. I don't think such huge daily water temp fluctuation would be healthy for them or any average aquarium fish.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store