just had a first time situation and not sure how to handle it.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
So I bought a jurunese catfish 2 weeks ago. Very healthy when I got him and very healthy when I had him. Eating like a pig but I had to sell him because my bass didn't approve of his presence. Fast forward to today, I had an interested buyer and I agreed to sell him for half of what I was asking just to move the fish. Buyer is a cool guy whom I've dealt with before. I put the fish in a oversized cooler and plugged a sponge filter to my trucks inverter. I'm sure you guys/gals can see where this is going smh. Anyways get to the buyer open the cooler and the catfish is swimming looking great, this is at 11am, transaction is made. I get a text from the buyer at 4pm saying that during his acclimation process the fish died. I'm far from a jerk and I want to rectify this situation but not sure of what if anything I should do. I believe in karma so should I offer half back, a full refund or nothing at all?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
So I bought a jurunese catfish 2 weeks ago. Very healthy when I got him and very healthy when I had him. Eating like a pig but I had to sell him because my bass didn't approve of his presence. Fast forward to today, I had an interested buyer and I agreed to sell him for half of what I was asking just to move the fish. Buyer is a cool guy whom I've dealt with before. I put the fish in a oversized cooler and plugged a sponge filter to my trucks inverter. I'm sure you guys/gals can see where this is going smh. Anyways get to the buyer open the cooler and the catfish is swimming looking great, this is at 11am, transaction is made. I get a text from the buyer at 4pm saying that during his acclimation process the fish died. I'm far from a jerk and I want to rectify this situation but not sure of what if anything I should do. I believe in karma so should I offer half back, a full refund or nothing at all?
I'd be inclined to say half back, but if the price was cheap to him originally; its his loss

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Seeing how u did everything right in moving him and the fish was in good shape.....whose to say that his water perams werent off? Or that he didnt acclimate the fish properly?.....if the fish was healthy and swimming great when u sold it then id say the fish is his responsibility.

Imo its his loss.....if this fish was shipped or if u had known of any illnesses or such before the transaction then that would be a diff story.

If it were me i wouldnt refund any $ in this situation.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Fish was healthy. Very very minor fin damage from the bass but other than that no issues.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Price was very cheap. I had the catfish listed at 125 sold it for 80 and threw in a 6" 3/3.5 dat for $20.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I've kept a fish in a bag for 3 hours because I ate out. If I ate before I got the fish the store would have closed, so I went there first. The fish was in the car (with the AC on so the temp was right) for a couple of hours by the time I got home and then I did stuff around the house while the fish temp acclimated. After that I acclimated it for 30 minutes. It was perfectly fine after being in a bag that long. I don't see why that fish you sold would have died. Especially after the bin was aerated while you transported it.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I would agree that it's his loss, you delivered a live healthy fish, I know it sucks, has happened to me. If he bought it from a LFS and it died I dont think he'll get much sympathy from them either

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I don't know about mistakes but he clearly saw I healthy fish and was willing to pay your asking price. If it was diseased it either would have been evident or would have taken longer to die. Did he claim that it was acting odd during the acclamation process?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store