RIP King-eL, Honored Members

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
I'm not sure how the award programme works, I've only just discovered this today, but if anyone can be nominated, I want to put down Earl if it hasn't been done already!

For those unaware, Earl Pigar King-eL King-eL one of the most influential people in the Bichir community, passed away in the month of October last year—doing what he loved.

Over the years Earl has tutored and inspired countless people, continuing and developing a legacy of Polypteridae knowledge acquired from not only the people who he learned from, but years of personal experience and an obsession with new academic literature.

Earl was a one-of-a-kind aquarist who always strived to improve his pet's quality of life, even in the smallest of areas. Along with many other achievements, Earl holds the record for the largest known Ornate Bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis) at 30 inches, and the largest South American Lungfish (Lepidosiren paradoxa) at 52 inches.

Before he died, we began a collboration of two Polypteridae books, the first a guide to the care of every described Polypteridae species, headed by myself, now known as The Bichir Handbook, and the other, led by Earl himself, a more in depth identification guide to the many variations of Polypterus. I hope to be able to finish Earl's book one day, unfortunately most of the knowledge was lost with him.

I hope you'll all consider this nomination, he's been active on MFK since 2008 (at least on this account).

74239268_1234484216742086_2270421645124435968_o.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm not sure how the award programme works, I've only just discovered this today, but if anyone can be nominated, I want to put down Earl if it hasn't been done already!

For those unaware, Earl Pigar King-eL King-eL one of the most influential people in the Bichir community, passed away in the month of October last year—doing what he loved.

Over the years Earl has tutored and inspired countless people, continuing and developing a legacy of Polypteridae knowledge acquired from not only the people who he learned from, but years of personal experience and an obsession with new academic literature.

Earl was a one-of-a-kind aquarist who always strived to improve his pet's quality of life, even in the smallest of areas. Along with many other achievements, Earl holds the record for the largest known Ornate Bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis) at 30 inches, and the largest South American Lungfish (Lepidosiren paradoxa) at 52 inches.

Before he died, we began a collboration of two Polypteridae books, the first a guide to the care of every described Polypteridae species, headed by myself, now known as The Bichir Handbook, and the other, led by Earl himself, a more in depth identification guide to the many variations of Polypterus. I hope to be able to finish Earl's book one day, unfortunately most of the knowledge was lost with him.

I hope you'll all consider this nomination, he's been active on MFK since 2008 (at least on this account).

View attachment 1417965
He has my vote for sure.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This vote is a no-brainer. Staff endorsement is there, I don't even know if this needs votes
Requirements- For members who were are part of the MFK community who have passed away.

Citation- In memoriam of those members of MFK who have passed away.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg

He's already been recognized :)

Though, given that there was never a "proper" nomination, I've archived this thread to serve that purpose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store