KISS large sump filter design

leonroy

Feeder Fish
Oct 14, 2010
London, UK
Applying the KISS principles to sump design I've produced what I'm hoping is a simple, and effective sump design:

It's for a 220L freshwater tank which is currently in the planning stages. I intend to have the sump handle all filtration and retire the two canister filters I currently have running (Fluval FX5 and Eheim 2078).

Will the design provide greater filtration?

Any comments and criticism much appreciated.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
remove the filter floss. Just strip on a filter sock onto the inlet

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
On a FW tank I would take a Fluval FX5 over the best designed sump any day. I just don't think you will get the same filtration. Is this a 220L/55gal? Or did you mean a 220 gallons long?

peddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
sumner, WA
Set the sump up so the water is only about half way up the tank. If not and the power goes out you will have water all over.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have two issues with this design if you’re looking for "feedback"
1) I don't see a dry area as far as a wet/dry sump is concerned. I like to have some kind of bio tower set up where water trickles through media but is not completely submerged. I’m not 100% on the science but what I understand is, there’s different beneficial bacteria in the dry area and the wet area and this combination really works together to break down dirty water…..
2) The simplest KISS modification to this set up would be adding a trickle water supply. Drill a hole in your sump at the water level you chose and run it to a drain in your house or the back yard (what I do) Then add a supply line to your tank. The extra water will simply drain out. No more water changes!

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
The bacteria are the same in a wet/dry, or more correctly trickle, environment but because of the oxygen in the air they are exposed to they are much more efficient (consume ammonia and nitrite faster). This means you need a lot less to do the same job. Fortunately even with only submerged biomedia it is hard to not have enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store