Large Parasite on my Catfish

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Wo meds pull them off…very easy or put salt on each individual one…they won’t have a chance

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Sal
Wo meds pull them off…very easy or put salt on each individual one…they won’t have a chance
Salt can cause them to regurgitate into the wound and cause infection, it can also leave the teeth in the wound, also causing infection, this info is for leeches but idk if it applies to these ones but it should, not pull them off, scrape the mouth off, pulling can cause teeth to be ripped out, left in wound and cause infection, basically many ways can cause infection

EppsDynasty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2023
Pulled em off with hemostats, well the wife did. So I put him in a 300 gallon tote next to the pond filled about 100 gallons. I held him while the wife removed them and put them in salt water. We tried a 3% Para Salt solution for 3 minutes and they still remained. It took us about an hour and a half to do so.

• Wow
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Wait...what?...you got your wife to remove leeches by grabbing them with hemostats and pulling them off???

I can't get my wife to kill a spider if she finds one in the house!!!

How did you do that??????? :)

On a serious note: are you planning on netting out all the fish and visually checking each one in an effort to eradicate them completely?

Last edited:

EppsDynasty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2023
Ha Ha Ha....... My wifes a soldier. We live in between Death valley and the Mojave desert and all family members WORK. After dinner the dog even does the dishes. I am building a new pond system with 1 16' x60" above ground pool with 2 12'x30" connected. I will inspect EVERY animal as I move them. I then will "nuke" the substrate and filters with Dimilin powder.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store