Latest on a whim tank

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Throughout my entire fish keeping history (31 years), I have always been prone to on a whim decisions. I'm regularly rearraning tanks, shuffling fish around, or setting up new tanks because I came across a fish I "had to have" with zero notice. This weekend's super on a whim decision saw me set up another tank and get back to having an African tank. I'm an American cichlid gal through and through, but there isn't any branch of cichlids that doesn't appeal to me and I've certainly kept plenty of Africans over the years. But this is my first African tank again in about 4 years. Hadn't planned it at all, but on Friday I saw a post on a local FB group that someone wanted to find a home for these itty bitty baby OB zebras and I pounced lol. The LFS here has had a tank full for months and they tempt me every time I'm in the store, but their price is absurd so I refused to cave. Price for these babies was super reasonable so set up a tank Saturday and added them Sunday. Biggest is about 1", smallest is half that so they have lots of growing to do!

https://flic.kr/p/2p2oiSE

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
That's a beautiful set up. I can see why your proud of it and want to share it. I'm an American Cichlid guy too. Iv kept tangynykians shellies before buy that was it. What are these guys? Iv never seen them before? Love em. Good buy!!

Reactions: Sinister-Kisses

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
Iv become a hudge fan of species only tanks. Love em

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Thanks. They're the OB morph of M. estherae (red zebra). I've always been fond of piebald/OB/splotchy versions of any fish lol.

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
SK, I am the same way. I have been prone to purchasing unusual cichlids on a whim and have been doing so since I started in this hobby 43 years ago. As I am confident you have learned during your journey, this habit creates many challenges, requires strong critical thinking skills and results in a persistent case of Multi-Tank Syndrome (MTS).

What I like best about this hobby is purchasing small cichlids like you have done and watching them color up and grow into healthy adults with an inevitable hierarchy. Enjoy your new cichlids!

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Nice setup. Juvenile/young fry I too find quite appealing - the way they swim and explore. That is why I have had breeding tanks for most of the years I have been in the cichlid fishkeeping hobby.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
You have inspired me. I had a OB zebra for about 7 years, oldest fish in my tank. One day he decided it would be a good idea to eat my albino eye biter. It was a case of eyes being bigger than his stomach quite literally and they both perished.
Just added this little guy to the 150. Saw him in a local store and couldn’t pass up the pattern.

IMG_8477.jpeg

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
I can see why you'd grab him, he's a beauty!

Reactions: The Morning
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store