Leopard Bush Fish - Ctenopoma Survival story!

Sharkdude1

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2023
About May 2023 I purchased a 5 inch endlicheri bicher and housed him in a 25 gal bare bottom aquarium with several clumps of java fern and anubias.
The bichir grew very fast to 9 inches and 1 week ago I moved him to a fully cycled 60 gal with sand, a few large pieces of driftwood, and several 'easy' plants.

I researched compatible tank mates for the bichir and decided a Leopard Bush Fish Ctenopoma would be a nice addition given its habits and being also from the Congo.

I asked around to about 5 local fish stores, and not one of them said they could procure a leopard bush fish for me.
So I searched online, and I found a few suppliers that had small 1-2 inch captive bred fish. Knowing these would probably not survive with the 9 inch bichir, I continued my search.

I found a shop in Connecticut, US with a 4 inch + bush fish fish for sale and willing to ship to Southern California.
I was assured it was healthy and eating well so I went ahead and ordered ( this was my first fish purchased online, as I prefer to buy locally).
It took a bit of back and forth to get the tracking number, but UPS eventually reported I would receive the package by 7 pm Pacific time yesterday Oct 4, 2023.
I checked the details and it was seeming placed in the truck at 9 am. It rode around in the truck all day and was eventually delivered at 6:45 pm.
No damage to the box, and no stickers such as "live animals' or "this side up" on the box.

I opened the cardboard box, followed by the internal styrofoam box, to a soggy mess of wet newspaper. I unwrapped all that to thin double bags with a couple teaspoons of water and an apparently DOA bush fish! I was supper stressed and immediately siphoned 2 gals of water into a bucket with the non-responsive bush fish.
Imagine my surprise when after about 5 minutes, the bush fish was revived and milling about in the bucket! After about 20 minutes in the bucket, I moved the bush fish to the 25 gal tank upstairs that was still setup as a potential grow out tank. This was instead of introducing him to the bichir in the 60 gal so the bush fish could recover.

I checked the bush fish a few times in the night and he seemed fine. He is cruising around this morning 10/05 but not interested in a red wriggler worm I offered him.

I read these fish have a labyrinth organ and can breathe air so maybe that helped him survive his torturous journey?

Maybe I should name him 'Lucky' !

(I'll try to get better pics of the leopard bush fish once he settles in more)

bichir_nursery.jpg

bichir_upgrade.jpg

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
That is an awesome story! Another reason why I don't order online is because I would be devastated to find my fish dead in the box; I agree with buying locally rather than shipping. Yours didn't die, luckily. Beautiful tanks, btw! :D

Reactions: Sharkdude1

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Great to hear! Always nice to see a fish come back from the brink of death.
Do be careful with that endli. They get very big and there isn’t much that won’t fit in its mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store