Male BD been stung

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Think my male breeder has been stung. He filled the tank with sperm yesterday so I know he has been trying to breed. Thing is I can't see a mark on him . Had a good look underneath as well because he had a fit and swam through the water column. He is constantly like this in the vid, convulsing and then fitting and holding himself rigid. I am quietly freaking out right now, hoping he will pull through.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
My males get stung alot and ive never seen them do that...

It does almost look like gill fluke reactions....

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Hi Jim,
If a ray gets stung in the muscle tissue it will bleed temporarily but have no adverse affect, however if it gets stung in the stomach it will eventually die, I hope in this case it isn't a sting to the gut...really do Jim.
Its too erratic to be gill flukes imo, not to mention too quick, flukes are something that progress slowly over time, what ever it is its messing with the rays nervous system.
Doesn't look good Jim, I don't want to give you false hope, I pray I'm wrong.
Check the females barb, the mucus is often removed about 20mm from the tip if its penetrated.

All the best mate!

Reactions: jettefrances17

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Jim,
If a ray gets stung in the muscle tissue it will bleed temporarily but have no adverse affect, however if it gets stung in the stomach it will eventually die, I hope in this case it isn't a sting to the gut...really do Jim.
Its too erratic to be gill flukes imo, not to mention too quick, flukes are something that progress slowly over time, what ever it is its messing with the rays nervous system.
Doesn't look good Jim, I don't want to give you false hope, I pray I'm wrong.
Check the females barb, the mucus is often removed about 20mm from the tip if its penetrated.

All the best mate!
Hi Richard
Thanks for prompt reply. Yes I checked the female Ray he been trying to mate with and already noticed her sheath is missing from the barb. This is what makes me pretty convinced it's a sting but I can't see where he has been hit. Can only pray for the best now.
Not a good day all in all. Dog just had expensive surgery today in an ear and see looks like she has been hit by a bus. Going to be a tough next few days for the animal lovers in our house.
Bum times all round

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Thanks bud
9.30 in the UK now and no change with him. I have turned all lights off and hope for the best.
Guess it's all you can do mate, keep it as calm as poss and hope he pulls through.

Noticed after my male Hystrix started molesting two females I have recently, he had several stings all round the underside of his disc near his mouth, but they didn't seem to affect him or weaken his amorous pursuits.

Hopefully being a big healthy strapping male it will help him recover. Not sure what to say really, just feel bad. Let's hope the night brings rest to the male and the morning has some change for the better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store