Male convicts together?

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Now obviously, I've kept my fair share of convicts over my 32 or so years in this hobby. But always just a solo convict or a breeding pair in their own tank. However I've currently got a group of breeding size subadults living in my 6ft, 125gal as "dithers" for Tolken, my adult male midas (by dithers I just mean something to keep him company that he won't slaughter lol). A pair has formed and has wigglers. Naturally they're on one end of the tank, opposite of Tolken's den on the other end, and of course being very nasty to the other convicts who are now forced to the middle ish and harassed from both sides. I don't really want them breeding, but like having a few of them together. If I were to pull the females, and leave just 3 males of about the same size, is there any chance an all male trio might coexist? I've never tried multiple like this.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Now obviously, I've kept my fair share of convicts over my 32 or so years in this hobby. But always just a solo convict or a breeding pair in their own tank. However I've currently got a group of breeding size subadults living in my 6ft, 125gal as "dithers" for Tolken, my adult male midas (by dithers I just mean something to keep him company that he won't slaughter lol). A pair has formed and has wigglers. Naturally they're on one end of the tank, opposite of Tolken's den on the other end, and of course being very nasty to the other convicts who are now forced to the middle ish and harassed from both sides. I don't really want them breeding, but like having a few of them together. If I were to pull the females, and leave just 3 males of about the same size, is there any chance an all male trio might coexist? I've never tried multiple like this.
While I'm not the most experienced person with this topic, I would think that they should be fine together as long as they have adequate territories to claim, a large enough tank size and some dithers to break things up. Are these convicts siblings/family or just random convicts put together via fish store raids?

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Two are POSSIBLY related, bought at the same time from a massive tank full in a store. The third is definitely not.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

ruincccc

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
i have three male convicts in my 440G for the same reason not wanting them to breed, they coexist among themselves and with a few pbass and other big sized cichlids with no issues.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Hmm a 440 is a lot bigger than my 125 though lol. Guess I'll have to give it a try and see what happens, and separate them if needed.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I think they'll be fine. I have a septemfasciata-nicoya convict hybrid with his (septemfasciata) grandfather in my 125 with the female green umbee. They just kinda hang out together and stay out of the umbee's way. Sometimes the umbee and grandpa fight over food but nothing that doesn't heal within a few days.

Reactions: Sinister-Kisses
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store