maxspect 150 Gyre is Not made for Large Fish or Stingrays....

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
I have had Nothing but problems with my Gyre 150 being Destroyed by my Stingrays and Large fish. The picture is of what they did last night to one side of the gyre.
The pump didnt fall or get smashed against anything, that is just from a fish darting into it during the night.
Maxspect does Not cover this in their warrantee.
The plastic protective cover over the propellers is made of Weak Plastic. If a fish darts into it, or a Stingray chews on it, the protective sleeve breaks and the propeller gets chewed up by the broken protective sleeve. I have replaced Both sides already and only have owned the pump for 2 months.
The pump is Great for my small fish tank but is not designed for large fish.
When I told this to the technical department at Coralvue (who handle all warrantee work for maxspect gyre pumps) they said that noone had reported such an issue and there was no plans in using a Stronger Plastic Protective Sleeve for gyre pumps.

I just wanted you guys to be aware....

20160829_165337.jpg

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Sorry to hear what happened on your gyre. Have a 150 gyre on my tank with rays and big fish, but its still there. Sometimes the ray knock it off when gliding on the side but i just reattach it. My fish may just be well behave not to destroy it.

Positive side i see on using the gyre is it keeps the water well circulated preventing deadspots even on large tanks. I like the ripple effect. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Last edited:

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
I Love the gyres! I need to make something for the pump to go into. Make a Strong Protective sleeve. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store