Mayhem and Moo, my EBJD and marbled Vieja fenestratus

Dolemedes

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2023
Western North Carolina
Awesome!! What do you feed yours to make him grow that fast? I’ve had two for about a year and they’ve grown from about 1/2 inch ish to about 3-4 inches
Honestly a big part of it was probably luck, as in I got one that was genetically really robust. I started with two that were the same size and lost one after three weeks. Mayhem was a firecracker from day one whereas the other one was timid, seemed to lack vigor, and didn’t grow which is what I had been warned was the likely outcome if I tried to raise these guys. I feel really fortunate to have had this one do so well.

if there’s anything I did that helped, it would be a lot of high-quality food and I kept the tank on the warmer side. And maybe the UV sterilizer helped? I got that because somebody recommended it to offset the possible increased susceptibility to pathogens and parasites EBJDs seem to be known for. I feed a mixture of different types of what I think are the better quality pellets in the morning and frozen food at night, swapping out the frozen with live small isopods or guppies (from my other tanks) occasionally. I probably overfed, but offset that with weekly large water changes and lots of tannins in the water. Now that he’s past the baby stage and so are the other fish I was growing out in that tank, I’m easing the food amount back a bit, trying to find the balance between not having him get hangry and take it out on everyone else vs. not overfeeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store