Meet Shaka

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Meet Shaka everyone! Here is his story:

The Beginning
14 years ago I got in the pirahna keeping hobby. Shaka was my second piranha only because it took so much effort to track down a black piranha back in 1999. I ended up buying this guy in July of '99 when he was about 2.5in and placed him into a 10gal. tank originally.

The Middle
In addition to Shaka I had 2 other rhoms (both larger than Shaka at the time as they were 10-11in and he was like 6in), school of 8 caribe, and 1 scapularis that I thought was a manueli when I bought him. Over the years, Shaka is the only that I have kept as he started my craze all those years ago. Shaka has gone through 5 moves over the 14 years I have had him. Lots of moving tanks and even moving lots of water!

The past year was the hardest as I had to temporarily move his tank to my parents and been making trips out there to clean the tank, and asking them to feed him. This November was the hardest because I am in NJ and Sandy was a pain. My parents were without power for 1.5 weeks and helped me to do water changes multiple times a day, constantly monitoring the temperature, wrapping the tank in blanks, warming water to put in the tank, and doing all this even at 4am. Best parents in the world huh :)

Today
Shaka finalIy came home today. I have been cycling a 75 gal tank for months and keeping it stable (couldn't bring him right away for multiple reasons). I made the hour drive to my parents, chased him into a bucket and brought him.

Nothing special. 75 gallon running a FX5 (debating an additional powerhead) and those are 9 lucky bamboo plants in the pics to help with nitrates

Shaka is not super special to most because he is not a 16incher or something rare, but over the past 14 years I have grown very fond of him. I was not able to dig up pics of when I first bought him but here are a couple. The bucket he is in is 12in so I am guessing he is around 10in. Hope you enjoy the pics!

Picture6.jpgPicture5.jpgPicture4.jpgPicture3.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture1.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It's nice that you have to patiance to grow him that big!

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
thank you for sharing. Shaka looks nice and :clap to you for growing him from 2.5"

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thanks for the compliments. Glad he is home too. Makes things that much easier for me to take care of him :)

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
Wow!! I commend you for the love and commitment you have for this Black Rhom! You are a true Monster Fish Keeper and your dedication for this fish well being is awe inspiring. I too have the love of a solo blue diamond rhom now about 11.5-12 inches I named after the demi-god Achilles. I would like Shaka and Achilles to be good fish friends and put them together in the same tank so they can play with one another!!
photo (5).JPGphoto (7).JPGphoto (8).JPG

photo (5).JPG

photo (7).JPG

photo (8).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store