Micropterus Identification (black basses)

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
I decided to work on this ID key because there is a lot of confusion about the different species and even strains or subspecies within the genus Micropterus. Maybe this thread can help with this by serving as a reference guide. A lot of this information comes from some river bass fishing websites and from the NANFA group. The other information comes from my own experience and research.

To start out, I would like to introduce you to the 15 strains I have found out about and Spotted bass). If there are any that are interested, I can create another thread solely for discussion of hybrids and genetic anomallies once this thread is finished.

Micropterus salmoides - Northern largemouth bass
Micropterus salmoides floridanus - Florida strain largemouth bass
Micropterus dolomieu - Smallmouth bass
Micropterus dolomieu neosho - Neosho strain smallmouth bass
Micropterus dolomieu ouachita - Quachita strain smallmouth bass
Micropterus punctulatus - Kentucky spotted bass
Micropterus henshalli - Alabama spotted bass
Micropterus notius - Suwannee bass
Micropterus treculii - Guadalupe bass
Micropterus cataractae - Shoal bass
Micropterus coosae - Coosa strain redeye bass
Micropterus cf. coosae - Bartrams strain redeye bass
Micropterus cf. coosae - Altamaha strain redeye bass
Micropterus cf. coosae - Chattahoochie strain redeye bass
Micropterus cf. coosae - Tallapoosa strain redeye bass

There is rumor of a subspecies or strain of shoal bass in the Appalachicola River that I am trying to confirm.

I will post one strain at a time with pictures showing the fish. There are a lot of bass ID keys online that should be able to help with understanding the presence or absence of a tooth patch, connectivity or separation of the dorsal fins and other defining characteristics that I will include. Let it also be said that there is a huge variation in color and pattern of markings even within a species or strain, so let it be understood that color/pattern cannot be a reliable identification factor. However, when a body of water has a majority of fish displaying certain characterisitics and they have been separated from other groups of the species for a great period of time, it is likely that they are a different strain or subspecies even if not ID'd as such by the scientific community. The most diverse group is the redeye bass varieties and there is some classification work going on right now that will hopefully clear up some of the "strain"-ing confusion.

I do not claim to be a biologist so let it be said that the information that follows is not to be taken as scientific data, but the agreement of individuals in the fish keeping and fish catching communities.

As far as how quickly I can get this data on this forum, I will try to post it as quickly as I can, but as a father, husband, part-time band leader while working full time, please be patient and I will organize the data and type it up as fast as I have the opportunity to do so.

***Please hold back all comments until I have completed this key so that all the information will be in the first few pages. If you would like to comment, please do so by starting a new thread.***

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Microptrus salmoides - Northern largemouth bass

Distinguishing characteristics:

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends well past the back of the eye.
-Tooth patch typically absent.
-There is clear separation between primary and secondary dorsals (also know as "notched" dorsal). Every other strain of bass in the genus has a connected primary and secondary dorsal.

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus salmoides floridanus - Florida strain largemouth bass

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends well past the back of the eye.
-There is clear separation between primary and secondary dorsals (also know as "notched" dorsal). Every other strain of bass in the genus has a connected primary and secondary dorsal.
-Most of the differences between the northern and florida strains are genetic, but florida largemouths do tend to get bigger and have smaller scale size in proportion to their body size.

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus dolomieu - Smallmouth bass (reservoir strain)

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw barely reaches the front edge of the eye.
-Body is typically shorter and stockier than the other members of the genus.
-No separation between primary and secondary dorsals.

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus dolomieu neosho - Neosho strain smallmouth bass

Neo 4.png

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends slightly further than the reservoir strain smallmouth bass.
-Body is a bit leaner than the reservoir strain smallmouth bass.
-Prominent dark spot on rear of gill cover.
-Native only to a few tributaries in northeastern Oklahoma.
-Does not like reservoirs but isolates itself into the headwaters preferring the riverine habitat.

Neo 4.png

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus dolomieu ouachita - Quachita strain smallmouth bass

Ouatchita 2.jpg

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends slightly further than the reservoir strain smallmouth bass.
-Body is a bit leaner than the reservoir strain smallmouth bass.
-Native only to a few tributaries in Southeastern Oklahoma.
-Does not like reservoirs but isolates itself into the headwaters preferring the riverine habitat.

Ouatchita 2.jpg

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus punctulatus - Kentucky spotted bass

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends to the centerline of the eye.
-Toothpatch typically present.
-Extremely high propensity for hybridizing with other strains.

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus henshalli - Alabama spotted bass

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends to the centerline of the eye
-Small tooth patch typically present.
--Most of the differences between the Alabama and Kentucky strains are genetic, but Alabama Spotted bass do tend to get bigger and although their native ranges overlap, location of collection can usually distinguish between the two.

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
Micropterus notius - Suwannee bass

-When the mouth is closed, the back edge of the jaw extends to the centerline of the eye.
-Toothpatch typically present.
-Coloration and markings are typically very dark olive with almost black vertical bars, often with a bright turquoise shimmer to it (especially around the cheeks and belly). The eye often has a red coloration.
-Native to a few rivers in southwest Georgia and Northwest Florida.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store