My flowerhorn probably have hexamita

Prokenny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Spain,Madrid.
Two days ago i found a small wound on my flowerhorn head with a small white silk around it, i treated it with esha2000 to desinfect the wound because i tough he may headbutt a rock or something and it was a fungal/bacterial infection...

But the fish has stopped eating since then and the wound doesn't look fine and i think that its so deep to be a rock headbutt...

I always heard that the first symptom of hexamita is that the fish stops eating, but my fish ate like a badass until the wound appeared, also i didnt noticed any stringy poop

Its possible to develop a hexamita that far to appear a headhole without the fish stop eating?

He is not accepting pellets i gave him barely cooked shrimp sometimes he eats it but without any interest... in the past it just devoured shrimps without even thinking.

I just started treating with flagyl (metronidazole) i will do a 5 day treatment with 250mg/10gal

What do you think?

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
it doesn't look like any signs of Hexamita yet but just keep him on watch to be on the safe side. In my opinion, he might just injured himself and doesn't want to eat. He looks fine no signs of sickness yet in the picture you posted. But if you can just dose the tank with epsom salt if its available in your country with 1tablesp per 10 gallon but can be double dose but its up to you 2tablesps per 10 gallon.

Prokenny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Spain,Madrid.
He just eated 10 pellets and the hole looks much better today, i will look at his poop for any signal of parasites and will keep the metronidazole treatment 3 more days to be sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store