My little goldies

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
So I'm totally a cichlid girl through and through, and mainly large, aggressive CA cichlids at that. Secondly I'm a betta girl, just wrapped up a few years of breeding koi plakats to focus on my cichlids again. But...I also have this massive soft spot for goldfish lol. Dopey, adorable old fantail and comet goldfish. Every now and then over the years I get into a goldfish phase again, and I'm currently in one. I had a 40 long open up after moving my cutteri to the 8ft tank, and this tank is in my living room (the only one that is) so I sit and look at it every day. I was tired of dealing with angry bloody cichlids doing nothing but harassing each other and wanted a happy, never have a disagreement, colourful fish. So I began my next goldfish phase and put three small calico fantails in the tank, as my long-term stock once they grew up. Well, then I saw a specific sarasa comet at Petsmart a month or two later and HAD to have him - thus ending being able to keep them in the 40 for long ? So about a month ago I cleared out my 6ft, 135gal tank and moved them in. Who knows how long it'll last this time before I decide I need the big tank for some angry must live alone CA cichlid again, but for the moment I wuvs these guys lol.

20220130_120840.jpg

20220130_120817.jpg

20220129_222647.jpg

20220129_222631.jpg

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Just saw this thread as dont keep goldfish but HAD to think about keeping them after seeing a classified about a variety: thai rosetail goldfish babies the parents were stunning! Yours first one for me to open and laughed because i was thinking the same thing! Peaceful and dopey relaxing to look at

Reactions: Sinister-Kisses

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Congrats on giving those goldfish such a nice, big tank.
As much as goldfish are not my cup of tea, I think it's interesting that you're dedicating a monster size tank to some. Not often done.

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Congrats on giving those goldfish such a nice, big tank.
As much as goldfish are not my cup of tea, I think it's interesting that you're dedicating a monster size tank to some. Not often done.
It definitely is not, and I fully expected to be laughed at for admitting this here ? I have no doubt that eventually I'll need a big tank for a cichlid and the goldies will get the boot, but I am not the type of person who can KNOW comet goldfish can get up to 18" in size eventually and keep them in an unsuitable tank. Probably what will happen is I'll choose my favourite few fantails to go back into the 40 long, since they can stay there for life, and find someone with a pond for the comets. But I really enjoy having these guys in a big tank right now :)

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
It definitely is not, and I fully expected to be laughed at for admitting this here ? I have no doubt that eventually I'll need a big tank for a cichlid and the goldies will get the boot, but I am not the type of person who can KNOW comet goldfish can get up to 18" in size eventually and keep them in an unsuitable tank. Probably what will happen is I'll choose my favourite few fantails to go back into the 40 long, since they can stay there for life, and find someone with a pond for the comets. But I really enjoy having these guys in a big tank right now :)
You can at least take some consolation that both your comets and fantails have it far better than the ones I used to keep. This is what it was like when I kept them, when I had no clue what I was doing but had a disdain for the comets fueled by a desire for the species in my signature.
That's a 243 liter tank they're in. Half the size of yours, exponentially more crowded and a crapload more dirty ? ? ?

1643678549718.png

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Ha! I know, I'm such a weirdo...look at all my very large, very aggressive monsters! Oh, and here are my goldfish. Lol. I have no explanation :screwy:

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
You're completely normal compared to me lol. I've got tiny, worm-like kuhli loaches in the same tank as my giant (well they will be in 20-30 years) clown loaches, whereas goldfish are comparable in size to those aggressive monsters.

• Haha
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store