My pond thread

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Update:
I did another 70 percent water change and the RD is doing better. He ate a few more pellets and even came out of his cave. He looked like that he was excited for something.

Reactions: FINWIN

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
So how come i see numerous community tanks with RD and oscar coexisting
People do many lame combinations, and some get away with it for a while, some don't.
I doubt you will ever see people post their failures.
If you research the waters of the great lakes of Nicaragua, you will see that are totally opposite the Amazon basin.
What your average aquarist does, usually has nothing to do with reality

Last edited:
Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
So let me get this straight. Normal filtration only converts nitrites into nitrates and does nothing about the nitrates(am i correct) and in order to remove the nitates, water changes have to be done or plants should be planted (like in your setup) to take the nitrates.
So your telling me that jungle of yours only makes a dent in your setup? Because then i must plant an entire amazon rainforest to filter my 500 gallon predator pond
[/QUOTE)
Yes
biofiltration only converts toxic ammonia, and toxic nitrite, to less toxic nitrate.
There are basically only 2 ways to eliminate nitrate
Thru water changes, and plant filtration.
My jungle does more than a dent, but I still do regular large water changes.
Below is an average result of my tank water testing.
IMG_0234.jpeg
But my plant weight ratio, to fish weight ratio, is about 10 to 1, 10 xs heavier on the plant sideheavier on the plan side.

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
People do many lame combinations, and some get away with it for a while, some don't.
I doubt you will ever see people post their failures.
If you research the waters of the great lakes of Nicaragua, you will see that are totally opposite the Amazon basin.
What your average aquarist does, usually has nothing to do with reality
Thanks a lot Duanes, i shouldn't have doubted your knowledge.
biofiltration only converts toxic ammonia, and toxic nitrite, to less toxic nitrate.
My jungle does more than a dent, but I still do regular large water changes.
Below is an average result of my tank water testing.

Thanks again for the info

Update: I cleaned the filter, readjusted the motor and fixed some clogged pipes and beleive me, the water is super crystal clear.it seems that the water input in the filter was extremely slow and i failed to notice it. i also redecorated the pond, adding more cover for the RD. The rd is doing much better now, and even came up to gulp some pellets. Its colour has improved(must have been stressed). The other fish also seem to be more active. The filter is working like a charm. Hope the RD adjusts soon. I will also try increasing the pH a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: FINWIN

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
There is a third way. If you have an enormous sump, almost the same volume as your tank/pond, and fill it with pumice.
The bacteria on the outer pores of the pumice eat the ammonia/nitrites, and the bacteria deep inside eat the nitrates, but very slowly.

I use this and it slows the nitrates down considerably, though not completely, so I use it in combination with a continuous drip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store