My wolf is scared of an oscar

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Jesus, I thought wolf fish were meant to be the baddest fish in town?

I bought a 5 inch oscar today, got a good deal on it, put it with my 7 inch wolf, and the wolf is scared.

The oscar settled in pretty well, started chomping mussels and pellets right away.

And every time he goes near the wolf, the wolf just gets nervous and darts off. The oscar has not even tried to attack it or anything, it's mere presence scares the wolf.

So far the wolf fish is highly disappointing. It's healthy and eats, but it's not active and not aggressive at all.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
As stated a number of times before, all fish are different and have different personalities. You can get a Red Devil and he will not touch anything in your tank yet others will destroy anything that hits the water.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
wolffish are ambush predators, so they NEVER move. they are also EXTREMELY skittish, a lot like the piranha, when small.

let them both get use to each other and maybe one day you might wake up to find a dead oscar.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
M|L - I knew about the inactivity so I'm not too bothered about that, I just thought it would be more aggressive.

Even with feeders it's only nailed them twice in front of me, which was admittedly very impressive, such speed and power. But usually it's waits till the middle of the night.

I was expecting a fish that would not only kill anything, or would at least nail feeders the second they hit the water, like my snakehead used to.

For example bsplenden's wolf looks ultra aggressive in that vid he posted and that fish is smaller than mine. Is the ery ery a lot more aggressive than a hoplias in general?

Freshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
SEA
Hi,

is ur wolf - hoplias?
if yes, then i guess it's probably still young n also not settled down yet.

i read that once Hoplias get to ard 7 - 8 inches, it will turn into a killing machine.

bro bsplenden's wolf is a ery ery - red fin wolf.
n it is indeed very hostile :D
even a 6 inches tinfoil barb is terrorised by the tiny 3inches+ wolf. :grinyes:

Cheers:)

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
It's been interesting watching the chemistry in the tank.

The hoplias and the hujeta completely ignore each other, and the hoplias and the senegal bichir seem to get on fine. Sometimes the bichir invades in the wolf's territory and kind of lays on top of him and squashes underneath him, but the wolf tolerates it. He doesn;t mind the bichir at all, sometimes they just peacefully lay next to each other. No aggression from either fish.

Since the oscar came in a few days ago I noticed the hujeta is nervous and moves away everytime the oscar approaches. The bichir doesn't give a damn about the oscar and regularly charges into him and bashes him out the way like he's not even there. The oscar hasn't shown much aggression towards the bichir.

The oscar does show aggression towards the wolf. Usually the oscar kind of moves in and does a biting motion towards the wolf without actually going to bite, and the wolf gets nervous and spins around, darts to another part of the tank or hides.

But since yesterday when the wolf is hiding and the oscar comes near - the wolf starts puffing his gills and opening his mouth.

And today a scrap finally broke out but never manifested. The wolf was hiding under his bogwood, and the oscar came face to face with him. The wolf puffed up, and the oscar tried to actually bite him. The wolf immediately launched a counter bite and actually bit the oscar on the side of the head and the oscar swam off.

It just seems strange that the wolf is scared of the oscar. The oscar can't really do anything to the wolf, doesn't even have any teeth. The wolf could tear the oscar to shreds if it wanted to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store