need pacu info

Ali1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
hey, i was wondering, what do i feed my new 7 inch pacu? how biig do red-belly pacus get? the lfs dude told me thats it's used to feeders, so just feed him a feeder everyday.... i already know thats not healthy, so what do i feed it? if i starve him, will he finally eat other products besides feeders?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
If you starve it you can get it to eat anything, including but not limited to pellets, and shrimp.

They get huge.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Mine eats grapes, peanuts, pellets, flakes, lettuce, carrots, corn, peas, spinach and earthworms.

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
sp of Pacu can reach 3' in the wild. petsmart sells them saying like 20" or something like that. Let put it this way.... I got a recipie for cooking them. get 2-3 as they shoal when younger they are omnivours and will eat solid leaf plants. They will eat feeders, and grow VERY fast. See the thing about them is they school with small piranhas... but grow faster. once they hit about 7-10" you will see the body darkin, and shape form unlike P's. Once they outsize them they go out on their own and do their own thing eating whatever. What does that mean for you? High protien diet when they are young and less when they are older. I like them but wish they didn't get so flipping big.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Yeah, pacus are omnivores, pellets are good, the occasional bit of fruit, algae wafers, all your plants, algae covered rocks, they will eat anything. A friend had one that went nuts for strawberries.

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Redbellies are smaller pacus, they "only" get to just over 2'... but they're quite active and should have a tank about 30" wide and 6' long when fully grown... height isn't too important. The largest pacus, blacks (Colossoma macropomum) get to over 4'. They are great fish if you can house them, my 30" black was probably the most personable fish I've ever kept.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store