New planted tank.. first try!!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The only problem I can see is the Roselines. These fish are built for speed. I have had them in 6ft tanks and they can end for end it in a second, and if startled can slam into the sides hurting/killing themselves. Having them in that tank I can't see them being very comfortable as during swimming they are always turning and can't really get going at all.

Godzilla1986

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2022
The only problem I can see is the Roselines. These fish are built for speed. I have had them in 6ft tanks and they can end for end it in a second, and if startled can slam into the sides hurting/killing themselves. Having them in that tank I can't see them being very comfortable as during swimming they are always turning and can't really get going at all.
I will put them in my 120G after a month as I’m waiting for my Arowana tank to be built so I can transfer him and the Denison barbs go into the 120 which will also be scaped. I wanted to learn the ups and downs of a planted tank first to take on a bigger project so I’m well prepared.

IMG_4958.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Nice looking beginning, and the plan to eventually move the barbs , sound like a great idea, besides the length of the larger tank, a laminar flow produced by something like a wave maker along the length of the long tank will help.
They are a rheophillic/riffles species, and come from fairly cool water streams in the highlands of India.

Last edited:

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Java fern and anubias are fine. Montecarlo will not likely make it as it needs more light and the depth of the tank makes the distance from the light source even more remote. You should not run the air stone as it will strip off CO2 plants most needed. A wave maker directed along the length of the tank will provide cross flow circulation without stripping CO2. I have both rose line and EBE in my planted tanks, but can only keep single sex EBA as breeding EBA will dig up plants. You need to add a few algae eaters such as bristlenose or SAE to control algae.

Reactions: Godzilla1986

Godzilla1986

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2022
Java fern and anubias are fine. Montecarlo will not likely make it as it needs more light and the depth of the tank makes the distance from the light source even more remote. You should not run the air stone as it will strip off CO2 plants most needed. A wave maker directed along the length of the tank will provide cross flow circulation without stripping CO2. I have both rose line and EBE in my planted tanks, but can only keep single sex EBA as breeding EBA will dig up plants. You need to add a few algae eaters such as bristlenose or SAE to control algae.
They are actually growing and not melting or turning yellow or brown. I have a 10k light and this is on the lowest setting I’m still working out what is the best intensity and hours to keep them on.
I completely agree with you about the air stone, but I had an ich outbreak and raised the temperature hence the air stone. It will be be gone by tomorrow as I see everything is dead and fish have healed.
Bristelnose is on the way already will be delivered after the New Year.

Last edited:

Godzilla1986

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2022
Nice looking beginning, and the plan to eventually move the barbs , sound like a great idea, besides the length of the larger tank, a laminar flow produced by something like a wave maker along the length of the long tank will help.
They are aa riffles species, and come from fairly cool water streams in the highlands of India.
Yes I have seen them in India my self as I’m from there. I have a wave maker as well that will go in as well. Thanks for the info 😁

Godzilla1986

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2022
Small update after a few days
Got a hygger 957 and reduced the height of the old light and added some Ludwigia super red!!

Monte Carlo is growing slowly which is expected with no C02
Ferns and Anubius sprouting and doing good.
Battling some brown algae but it’s better after introducing the new light. Green algae coming up which is a good sign over brown.

Doing 50% water changes every 3 days.

Will start fertilizer soon any recommendations?

on the fish front lost 1 Denison barb to ICH but all the others have recovered and no sign of it now.

some good and some bad but its a learning curve.

IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_5744.jpeg

IMG_5743.jpeg

IMG_5748.jpeg

Attachments

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Got a hygger 957 and reduced the height of the old light and added some Ludwigia super red!!

Battling some brown algae but it’s better after introducing the new light. Green algae coming up which is a good sign over brown.

on the fish front lost 1 Denison barb to ICH but all the others have recovered and no sign of it now.

View attachment 1532481

View attachment 1532482

View attachment 1532483

View attachment 1532484
Good update.

SingAlongWithTsing

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Inland Empire

If you want something premade in a bottle you could go with APT Zero or APT complete but at reduced dosage since the amount of plants you have is on the lower side

Or if you're comfortable with DIYing ferts I would go that route, you'll save a stupid amount of money this way.

When you move your fish over to the 120 I recommend going with DIY Ferts.

There's recipe on how to clone different All in one ferts at UKAPS

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store