New to Dats...help

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Steve_89 said:
This is normal behaviour like the others have said.

You might find that as soon as you turn the lights out he becomes very active??

Try and get your dat onto prawns or shrimp like the others said.

DW about the slanting. Its normal aswell.
ok thanks, yea i have noticed that at night he is more active, is he naturally a nocturnal fish? do you guys know any good websites with info on Dats? alot of the ones ive come across have conflicting info.

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
ahlex said:
give e new guy some time to adjust to e new environment... as for feeding, try to feed it after abt a week... siamese tigers r hardy fishes... so nt to worry too much... give it enough care n e rite conditions n u will be rewarded with its potential display of colours...
yea i would love for mine look like some of the ones ive seen on this site.

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
RockyGoldy said:
If you wan it to be less frightened of the new environment, try putting a driftwood (bogwood) in the tank so that the Dat can hide in there...

it will then slowly wean into feeding..by darting out from the hiding place..feed and darting back again....in about a week..it should be free swimming in your tank.
Thanks for the info, he has a driftwood cave but its a little small, it used to belong to my knife but the tiger kicked him out of it. im going to the LFS in lawton today, will see if they have something bigger over there.

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
islander671 said:
Thanks for the info, he has a driftwood cave but its a little small, it used to belong to my knife but the tiger kicked him out of it. im going to the LFS in lawton today, will see if they have something bigger over there.
Sure..do keep us updated on the progress.

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
islander671 said:
ok thanks, yea i have noticed that at night he is more active, is he naturally a nocturnal fish? do you guys know any good websites with info on Dats? alot of the ones ive come across have conflicting info.
They are more active at night. But if you want them to be active during the day, then feed them only when you switch on the tank lights. So that they will know that there will be food when the lights are on. Then they will be more active during lights on after a while.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
i would also like to add that they are ambush predators, they like to stay in a corner or a shaded area, waits for a fish to come by and then SNAP ! .. fish is gone.

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
redtailfool said:
i would also like to add that they are ambush predators, they like to stay in a corner or a shaded area, waits for a fish to come by and then SNAP ! .. fish is gone.
Yeah..this is why i mention, give them as many hiding place as possible...

but once they are in their adult size...they dun hide anymore..the just come to u during feeding...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store