New vampire Tetra banged it's head

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'd guess the gar. That armatus looks to be ~7", and gars are notoriously bitey against anything thats silvery and oval shaped. Your gar is I'd guess a good bit bigger, and may be a bit nippy.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I'd guess the gar. That armatus looks to be ~7", and gars are notoriously bitey against anything thats silvery and oval shaped. Your gar is I'd guess a good bit bigger, and may be a bit nippy.
Well you're educated guess about the sizes were right on the $! 😂

Thanks I'll try to get this gar a new home ASAP

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
My red tailed Payara has the same injury but is eating wel again now. I assume in my case its my asian aro being a dick as I have seen it chase it a couple of times and it did the same with my armatus last month which didnt recover. Funny enough my two gars arent interested in and dont ever go near the Payara.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
My red tailed Payara has the same injury but is eating wel again now. I assume in my case its my asian aro being a dick as I have seen it chase it a couple of times and it did the same with my armatus last month which didnt recover. Funny enough my two gars arent interested in and dont ever go near the Payara.
The car was rehomed last night thankfully. It was getting more and more aggressive.

The vampire ate 2 rosy red minnows. First I tried silversides but ignored it.

It's starting to school with my one redtail brycon. Thinking of grabbing another brycon.

I'll keep a close eye on the injury to its upper lip.

Reactions: Simonas

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
The car was rehomed last night thankfully. It was getting more and more aggressive.

The vampire ate 2 rosy red minnows. First I tried silversides but ignored it.

It's starting to school with my one redtail brycon. Thinking of grabbing another brycon.

I'll keep a close eye on the injury to its upper lip.
Be careful how many Rosie’s you feed, thiamise is a real killer, silversides I would also be cautious with as some of the lipids in saltwater fish I notice characins have trouble digesting. Would recommend guppies, mollies, or other livebearers if you are feeding live fish.
as for frozen if you can find mini frozen gobies or climbing perch at your local asiam market those would be my two options.
when I had my scromb I would catch mosquito fish and QT them to feed him for pretty much free.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Be careful how many Rosie’s you feed, thiamise is a real killer, silversides I would also be cautious with as some of the lipids in saltwater fish I notice characins have trouble digesting. Would recommend guppies, mollies, or other livebearers if you are feeding live fish.
as for frozen if you can find mini frozen gobies or climbing perch at your local asiam market those would be my two options.
when I had my scromb I would catch mosquito fish and QT them to feed him for pretty much free.
Good info thx. I knew about gold fish but didn't know about minnows.

How often should I be feeding him? So it had the two minnows yesterday. I was thinking to try to starve it for a couple of days and try to give it some shrimp or something else. I may need to start a new post about how to feed it

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Good info thx. I knew about gold fish but didn't know about minnows.

How often should I be feeding him? So it had the two minnows yesterday. I was thinking to try to starve it for a couple of days and try to give it some shrimp or something else. I may need to start a new post about how to feed it
I haven’t had armatus in the past, so I’m not sure how aggressive they are with food, for my scromb I had to have minnows in his tank for him to constantly snack on or he would get rail thin as he was constantly swimming in the current. as he’s growing I would probably do at least once a day, of course gage by your own fish. But I find almost all predatory characins are very active and benefit from multiple feedings a day, look at large payara in the wild vs those in captivity. Wild ones almost look fat compared to their captive counterparts.
I haven’t kept any long term enough to notice, but I imagine diets of anything other than white fish and the occasional gut loaded live would have detrimental affects on a payara, meaning I probably would only use shrimp as a sometimes food, not as a staple, I don’t know why I always forget about tilapia, but it is probably the best and cheapest food for any piscovore fish, so I would try getting him in that rather than shrimp.
I found that getting piscovores on frozen is best done by throwing their food in heavy current to replicate movement after some starvation period. But you could either have a very picky eater or one that will take food without enticing.

as for thiamine just about most cyprinids contain quite a bit, or else I would be feeding all my fish shiners that you get at bait shops lol.
exception to this is livebearers and kilis, they still contain it, just a lot less. Krill also contains a suprising amount. Which sucks because it’s all my marine predators favorite.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Payara are really easy to get feeding takes a week tops with the most stubborn and usually less

Scombs need the feed dropping in front of them so they can strike it from below
Tattuaia I find start by puting it in front of them and they will take it off the substrate till they eat regularly and now mine just takes what ever I put in whether from the suface or from the bottom.
Armatus are the easiest to feed they just take whatever goes in the water flow near them

They won't take frozen food if you keep feeding live you have to be dedicated to getting them feeding but as I say they tend to be easy enough to feed just needs patience

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store