oscar w/pimple like bump

Big Dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
North Dakota , USA
my young oscar has what appears to be a pimple looking bump on its bottom jaw is it something i should b concerned with ? or will it go away , any info / treatment needed woul b greatly appreciated !thanks much!

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
These are the questions that Lupin (the fish whisperer LOL) asks that all individuals answer when inquiring about sick fish. Please answer all of them to the best of your ability. That way, an educated response can be made and we can get your fish back on the road to health.

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

If you'd like an explanation of any of the above questions (how to determine the answer or even what the heck we're asking you that for!) here's the link. The first post explains each question.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210102

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
a picture would also help. some oscars and other fish develop a cyst like bump on their bottom jaw where they move gravel and sand around all day..

superleggera123

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Toronto
DUDE LOOK AT MY threads and you will see my jag had THE EXACT same problem
DO A WATER chance ASAP
And get anti fungal medication.!!!!!
my fishes pimple went in 3 days

sick_lid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Austin, TX
Doesn't sound like a fungal problem or water quality issue at all. As stated above, it's more likely from it running up and down the glass all the time.. Harmless.

superleggera123

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Toronto
bro ive had this problem before,
its fungal
i also got that answer that its due to rubbing on glass, it was not true im my case

Big Dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
North Dakota , USA
my 2 O's are in a 90 gallon, they are around 6" in size, with an 8" dempsey ,a 6" firemouth and a 6"four line pictus . I do a 30 gallon water change every friday . i'm running a emperor 400 and a 280 on it and will be swaping the 280 for anothe 400 next month . fed 2x a day & I don't feed live food,but do feed frzn 2x a week beef heart ,mysis shrimp , blood worms ,& spirulina brine all mixed togrther ,omega one peelts or hikari gold daily,and some freeze dried also .the light is on 8 hrs a day , water quality : PH 6.8-7.0, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates arnd 40 ppm a little higher before water chages. the tank has been set up for about 7 yrs ,maybe a half hour of natural sunlight a day during the winter otherwise none.temp is kept at 78in winter and turned down to 76 in summer as our house is warmer so it stays around 78 then anyway. i hope this is enough info for eveyone ,thaks for the help

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
It sounds to me like the tank and water conditions are great!

A photo would help determine if it's fungal or just a sore from rubbing up against glass or something else.

Since your water quality is good, it's less likely that this is an open wound that has become fungal or infected, so that's really good to know.

Can you post a photo? Does his chin looks swollen at all?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store