Osphronemus septemfasciatus : King of the Giant Gourami

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Any updates on this fish?
Unfortunately this particular fish passed away in a freak accident a few months back. Moved a few of my fish into a 3x5’ and while I was out of town the tank somehow crashed. Lost some nice catfish and the gourami.

i recently purchased a juvenile from the more recent batch and am planning to move this one into a 220 I am tossing up soon

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I have preserved the gourami for now, just incase it is ever needed for the future. I loved this fish so the loss was pretty gut wrenching.

I’ve yet to find a nice jar to keep the fish in so it is currently preserved in a 5 gallon bucket67DD880A-17EB-43F3-BF72-43A9F749DC5B.jpeg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Unfortunately this particular fish passed away in a freak accident a few months back. Moved a few of my fish into a 3x5’ and while I was out of town the tank somehow crashed. Lost some nice catfish and the gourami.

i recently purchased a juvenile from the more recent batch and am planning to move this one into a 220 I am tossing up soon
Very unfortunate, my apologies. Wishing you the best for the next fish.

Ive heard of territoriality becoming a problem as this species mature. Obviously it was a mess when you returned, but could the gourami have killed some cats and tank went septic in your absense?

Considering this species for a future borneo community tank with clown loach and bala sharks but hard to justify getting one if its going to be a problem community fish.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Very unfortunate, my apologies. Wishing you the best for the next fish.

Ive heard of territoriality becoming a problem as this species mature. Obviously it was a mess when you returned, but could the gourami have killed some cats and tank went septic in your absense?

Considering this species for a future borneo community tank with clown loach and bala sharks but hard to justify getting one if its going to be a problem community fish.
Territoriality was definitely an issue with this fish, I considered it may have killed the cats but both I had kept (rita and mystus) are quite robust species and didn’t have any apparent damage. I also preserved these as well.

I’m sure in larger well scaped tank they would do fine, they seem to go through a “puberty” stage where they get more aggressive and mellow out when larger

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Territoriality was definitely an issue with this fish, I considered it may have killed the cats but both I had kept (rita and mystus) are quite robust species and didn’t have any apparent damage. I also preserved these as well.

I’m sure in larger well scaped tank they would do fine, they seem to go through a “puberty” stage where they get more aggressive and mellow out when larger
Thank you for the info. The new fish looks great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store