Pale RBPs

franomania

Jack Dempsey
Nov 26, 2010
Toronto
Hi all
I haven't kept piranha for about 8 years and got back into the hobby thanks to my kids
I've had the 6 RBPs for about 3 weeks now and doing a fish in cycle with a new eheim 2217 in my 90 gal. I would guess they were about 2-3" when I picked them up but never had them out to measure.

I believe I've been cycling correct doing regular water changes every other day 25% and dosing prime every other day. Ammonia has never been above 1.0, still no nitrite or nitrate.

The question is, my guys have next to zero red colour and only getting more silvery. They have lost their spots and still no red.

Any insight as to why? They are acting perfectly normal, eating Hikari gold floating pellets 2-3 times a day.

20230311_093445.jpg

20230311_093554.jpg

20230311_093629.jpg

20230311_093601.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all
I haven't kept piranha for about 8 years and got back into the hobby thanks to my kids
I've had the 6 RBPs for about 3 weeks now and doing a fish in cycle with a new eheim 2217 in my 90 gal. I would guess they were about 2-3" when I picked them up but never had them out to measure.

I believe I've been cycling correct doing regular water changes every other day 25% and dosing prime every other day. Ammonia has never been above 1.0, still no nitrite or nitrate.

The question is, my guys have next to zero red colour and only getting more silvery. They have lost their spots and still no red.

Any insight as to why? They are acting perfectly normal, eating Hikari gold floating pellets 2-3 times a day.

View attachment 1514706

View attachment 1514707

View attachment 1514708

View attachment 1514709
I think it could possibly be rbp are trying to blend in with the light substrate. Also the fish in cycle may be stressing them.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks like tlindsey tlindsey said most of what I was going to, but to reiterate:
The all white gravel and bright lights can have to do with it - they are going pale to blend in to the surroundings. A fish in cycle is also very stressful to the fish and would contribute to washed out colors.
Lastly, the red does take some time to come in. At 3 inches is when I’d expect to see the red only start coming, with the deep red belly only showing by 5-6 inches.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Try adding floating cover like hornwort or duckweed - or tint the light to make it dimmer.
Piranhas stress out in bright lighting.

Reactions: tlindsey

franomania

Jack Dempsey
Nov 26, 2010
Toronto
Sorry should have added I do have LED strip light on for the 6hrs it's brightness adjustable and is on only about half power, not very bright. The tubes are on only when I want to sit and watch a bit (colour still the same when lights off or dim)

Sounds like I'll have to wait out the fish in cycle and hopefully they'll settle down. There's enough cover, dim light, params are ok (aside from low amm) that's why I'm puzzled.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Sorry should have added I do have LED strip light on for the 6hrs it's brightness adjustable and is on only about half power, not very bright. The tubes are on only when I want to sit and watch a bit (colour still the same when lights off or dim)

Sounds like I'll have to wait out the fish in cycle and hopefully they'll settle down. There's enough cover, dim light, params are ok (aside from low amm) that's why I'm puzzled.
prolly as lil light as possible, turn mine down to 5%

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store