Panfishing

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
It’s officially panfish season! All of my usual lake spots are littered with bluegill feeding up shallow. One specific local lake (which in reality is more the size of a pond) seriously just has an impressive population of gills. Some catches from the weekend and yesterday:
IMG_2700.jpegIMG_2696.jpegIMG_2687.jpegIMG_2681.jpegIMG_2671.jpeg
What you’re seeing is basically the average size for this very small lake. It’s incredible. Beautiful fish too, so many of them have that purple/pink shimmer in the scales that you sometimes see in bluegill.
Plans for the rest of the week are to try my luck at my usual redbreast river spots. Constant Spring showers make river fishing a bit of a pain sometimes so haven’t had any luck so far this spring.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I like catching sunfish species, as most lepomis species can be caught within 10 miles of where I live.
Tired to do a species slam on Friday during my lunch break and managed to get 4

IMG_6114.jpeg

redear

IMG_6112.jpeg

Bluegill

IMG_6105.jpeg

green

IMG_6106.jpeg

pumpkinseed
IMG_0439.jpeg
Longear
IMG_4936.jpegIMG_4926.jpeg
A black spot and a warmouth I caught in Florida,
I have caught a dollar sunfish before. Have yet to catch Sacramento, red breast, Florida bluegill, or rock bass. Think I’ve caught most of the rest tho

Reactions: Matth05

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
I like catching sunfish species, as most lepomis species can be caught within 10 miles of where I live.
Tired to do a species slam on Friday during my lunch break and managed to get 4

IMG_6114.jpeg

redear

IMG_6112.jpeg

Bluegill

IMG_6105.jpeg

green

IMG_6106.jpeg

pumpkinseed
View attachment 1541326
Longear
View attachment 1541324View attachment 1541325
A black spot and a warmouth I caught in Florida,
I have caught a dollar sunfish before. Have yet to catch Sacramento, red breast, Florida bluegill, or rock bass. Think I’ve caught most of the rest tho
The Southeast has a couple species I’d love to catch. Warmouth and Shellcrackers (iirc this is the same as a redear?) are definitely two of of them, but dollar sunfish are genuinely one of my favorites. It’s a fish I’d seriously consider keeping in an aquarium as well since they don’t grow as boisterous as the other Lepomis.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
The Southeast has a couple species I’d love to catch. Warmouth and Shellcrackers (iirc this is the same as a redear?) are definitely two of of them, but dollar sunfish are genuinely one of my favorites. It’s a fish I’d seriously consider keeping in an aquarium as well since they don’t grow as boisterous as the other Lepomis.
Yep, thats a red ear. They honestly are super underrated in terms of panfishing, get much bigger than a bluegill too IME.
I kept the dollar sunfish I caught, and don’t know where you heard they weren’t as boisterous. Mine are the tail off of my payara, so I put him in the aggressive tank and he bullied a jaguar cichlid that was about an inch bigger than him (he was only about an inch and a half) and killed my baby TSN, this is the only picture I could find of him. Glaring at me from Jain right before I fed him to my grouper for his crimes
71039145626__81ECF773-47B0-4C41-BD94-6A314480AEE7.jpeg

I’ve found long ear are probably the least aggressive sunfish species, and it’s good cus they are the prettiest too!

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Yep, thats a red ear. They honestly are super underrated in terms of panfishing, get much bigger than a bluegill too IME.
I kept the dollar sunfish I caught, and don’t know where you heard they weren’t as boisterous. Mine are the tail off of my payara, so I put him in the aggressive tank and he bullied a jaguar cichlid that was about an inch bigger than him (he was only about an inch and a half) and killed my baby TSN, this is the only picture I could find of him. Glaring at me from Jain right before I fed him to my grouper for his crimes
View attachment 1541327

I’ve found long ear are probably the least aggressive sunfish species, and it’s good cus they are the prettiest too!
Wow I had no idea they had the potential to be so feisty. I was under the impression they had a more docile temper. Nonetheless, still a fish I’d love to try one day. Probably wouldn’t go about mixing them with any kind of cichlid either lol. The smaller max size is another plus in my book as well. Feel most Lepomis would seem cramped in anything smaller than a 6ft tank. 4-5 inch max size however, that’s a lot more reasonable for a smaller tank like a 75g for example.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store