Parachromis multifasciatus really fat... Why

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I haven't been home in two weeks. To my knowledge he just gets fed hikari pellets every other day. Temp is roughly 86F. I did feed him a silverside before I left but I don't think that would do it given he's eaten hundreds of other fish in the 2 years I've had him.

1000038307.jpg

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
The question is how many pellets did he eat?
In my experience, people who don't know a species well tend to overfeed, even if they are experienced aquarists.
By the way, you don't need to feed an adult fish, especially a predatory fish, if you've only been away for two weeks.
This is better than risking overfeeding and also puts significantly less strain on the water quality.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
It was bloat. He died on Monday. Metronidazole did not work

• Sad
Reactions: AR1

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
The question is how many pellets did he eat?
In my experience, people who don't know a species well tend to overfeed, even if they are experienced aquarists.
By the way, you don't need to feed an adult fish, especially a predatory fish, if you've only been away for two weeks.
This is better than risking overfeeding and also puts significantly less strain on the water quality.
Also he was only eating like 6 pellets once a week. Every now and then I would throw mosquitofish or ghost shrimp in. Nitrates on the tank were almost always 0.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
It was bloat. He died on Monday. Metronidazole did not work
I'm sorry for your loss. It was a beautiful fish.

I know it's after the fact but can I ask did you use Epsom salts with the Metro? I ask because if the bloat was not caused by something like hexamita but instead compacted food in the intestinal tract the epsom salts might've been more effective. I personally use both in conjunction and change administration dependent on how serious I believe the issue is. I've never kept P. Multifasciatus(new designation of Freddy? correct?) but I have kept P. Loisellei(not sure if it's been changed as well) and while not fish known to be predisposed(AFAIK) to bloat I do find as fish specifically predatory fish(primarily piscivores) age they become more sensitive to processed foods like pellets especially certain brands. While the fish tend to seem to find them less appetizing for certain species of fish I presoak pellets for a very short period. I of course do not know what the cause was and am sorry to ask questions now and offer advice after the fact but I figured I'd offer my own personal experience just in case it might come in handy in the future.

Reactions: RD.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss. It was a beautiful fish.

I know it's after the fact but can I ask did you use Epsom salts with the Metro? I ask because if the bloat was not caused by something like hexamita but instead compacted food in the intestinal tract the epsom salts might've been more effective. I personally use both in conjunction and change administration dependent on how serious I believe the issue is. I've never kept P. Multifasciatus(new designation of Freddy? correct?) but I have kept P. Loisellei(not sure if it's been changed as well) and while not fish known to be predisposed(AFAIK) to bloat I do find as fish specifically predatory fish(primarily piscivores) age they become more sensitive to processed foods like pellets especially certain brands. While the fish tend to seem to find them less appetizing for certain species of fish I presoak pellets for a very short period. I of course do not know what the cause was and am sorry to ask questions now and offer advice after the fact but I figured I'd offer my own personal experience just in case it might come in handy in the future.
I was not using Epsom salts with the metro. He was not old at all, only 3 years old. I thought it could've been the pellets too but the hikari predator pellets have nowhere near enough fiber to clog up predatory fish. I appreciate the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store