Pentair fiberglass tank questions

Dr. Manhattan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2016
Middleboro, MA
Couple of questions on these fiberglass tanks.

Is the viewing window glass ?

This tank would theoretically be for a foot long Chinese softshell turtle (Pelodiscus sinensis), has sizable claws, definitely a beast. How would the fiberglass on the inside actually hold up to this critter ?

Are there any other options for fiberglass tanks with a viewing window ? I know of Dolphin but they won't touch smaller size tanks ( I'm looking at the 180 or 270 btw). There was a company called Bullfrog but their website is either down or theyre gone. I see really cool looking tanks in AliExpress but they don't seem to want to ship over here unless it's a bulk order.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Yes, the window is glass. Do a search on MFK. There is one member who had problems with his Pentair tank...something about the fiberglass peeling off inside the tank. After much hassle, the problem was resolved to his satisfaction. I bought my fiberglass tank from Aquatic Eco-systems before Pentair bought them out. I think the MFK member had more of a customer service issue with Pentair. His concerns were finally addressed. The tanks are manufactured somewhere in asia.

Waterdog and Midwest custom aquariums manufacture fiberglass tanks. Don't know if they are done with glass windows. And I also don't know if they make small fiberglass tanks. They specialize in large custom tanks. You would pay considerably more for these tanks than the Malaysian (or wherever they are made) cheap tanks.

Dr. Manhattan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2016
Middleboro, MA
Oh cool. Thank you for the prompt response and info. I saw that member who had some issues. Trust me when I tell I wish it was still Aquatic Eco instead of Pentair. I'll check the pricing on those other companies. The problem with a softshell is they need sand to bury in. Sure I could get a glass tank but because of these turtles burying the sand the glass gets scratched up very quickly. Plus I want something somewhat portable. I can accomplish this now with the Laguna 127 gallon preformed rectangular pond he's in. From Memorial Day until Labor Day or thereabouts I have him outside. I just want more than the top down view of him and his tank mates which includes a huge OB Peacock and Dimerus cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store