Peppermint Pikehead tank mates

Oddballhunter12

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2023
I’ve been thinking on getting a peppermint pike head for a while now but I’m not sure what can suitably live with them. I particularly love ambush predators and I have tanks dedicated to them. Such as the Asian leaf fish and rocket gar. My oddball tank is around 80 gallons and has an Asian leaf fish 2 juvenile rocket gar which will soon be moved to a larger tank. A single large angel fish 1 Sengal bichir that is also being raised for my larger tank. A brown ghost knife fish and a Peruvian flounder. Note all my fish are roughly 4 inches minimum. So I was wondering if I move the gars if a pikehead would be an equally unique replacement. This tank has not shown any signs of aggression and the fish that live in it coexist peacefully.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
You will need to be looking at quite a low ph tank, possibly below 6 to keep the peppermint happy, planted and with good surface plant cover. Also a little more flow than may be expected. Should be able to keep it with rasbora, some barbs, loaches and gourami. That’s if you can get hold of one.

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Oddballhunter12

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2023
thanks for the info though my only question is wouldn’t it eat the rasboras? It’s a natural ambush predator that has a larger mouth than most leaf fish do. I’m alright with feeding live prey to ambush predators but I feel it’s quite expensive to put rasboras with an animal that will without doubt eat them. Just wondering is all.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You will need to be looking at quite a low ph tank, possibly below 6 to keep the peppermint happy, planted and with good surface plant cover. Also a little more flow than may be expected. Should be able to keep it with rasbora, some barbs, loaches and gourami. That’s if you can get hold of one.
In stock atm for $39.99 plus shipping at 3.5”-4.5”.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store