Pig Nose Turtle ~

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Man, I haven't ever seen one for sale around my town. Good find my friend. Well to start of FRT's are fully aquatic turtles from the tropics, so warm water is essential. I have been told that they appriciate a shallow place (log, rock, plant matter, ext.) just below the surface to bask under a basking lamp. I do not know if this is nessesary but it couldn't hurt. Good lighting promotes good shell growth. It is also said that feeding your young FRT's fish, shrimp, and meat should be avoided. It can over develop your FRT's shell cuasing it to curl. I accually heard from someone else on the forum that you can feed them rabbit pellets and koi food (sorry I couldn't remember your name if you are reading). Just as long as your turtle stays a vegan for a while. Try to vary the food though as they can become dependant on a certian food. Another important thought, They need some room to glide through the water. They are, in my opinion, the missing link between sea turtles and terrapins. So ample living space is required.
Hope this gets you started with pig nosed buddy.

thanks,
SOFTY

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
adopted?

where can i adopt 10 of them

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
ok here is what you are going to need... a crapload of filtration and I dont just mean my tank is overstocked so I am going to beef up my filtration either I suggest an under gravel and a canister. you are going to need an unfiltered UVB light that is going to need to be replaced every 6-8 months... your little guy will probably want to get out of the water and dry off his shell or he could get shell rot... now getting back to the lighting what I meant by unfiltered was the light can not go through glass or plastic to get to your pnt I would suggest taking the glass strip out of a regular hood and setting it on top of that. once you have all of this drop the water level and give him a good sized piece of bog log that allows him to climb all of the way out of the water onto... you may not see him do this while you are around but he most definitely will when the lights are out... just set this up for my black knobbed saw back and it is working perfectly.... I can keep guppies in with him to clean his shell and tank since he can not catch them and shows little interest in eating them... good luck and nice find...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store