Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
It's based on my experience and the experience of some very experienced fish keepers. Two of them vets specialized in tropical fish.
I actually saw a specimen of Pseudetroplus maculatus with the same kind of black tail just last Saturday. It got it after a fight with another cichlid.
You can also see it with cichlids that hit the glas or some other hard things with their head. After the crash often only one half of the head goes dark.
The black tails mostly seem to appear after fights with other fish or after being caught with a net. Which indicates mechanical injury.
The damaging of the chromatophores or other colours related skin cells for example is well known by the keepers of feather fin cichlids.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I will also add that I've seen this in alot of cryptoheros hybrids. Personally has happened to fish I have bred, it happened when I bred two species of the same complex. Fry would be born with black tails.

Also seen this with melanochromis hybrids as well. Definitely not saying your fish are hybrids but there could be a small chance somewhere back on the line another species was involved. This happens often especially when the inexperienced fish keeper breeds two they think are the same.

Then again could just be a trait that has started to show. Black in fish doesn't always mean a good thing as previously mentioned their could be nerve damage or stress.Also at times as with swordtails the black in the tails and body can indicate they're cancerous.

Reactions: Milingu and RD.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Clutch mates can be just as aggressive toward each other as stranger-fish. Just suggesting this information is not a factor in the damage discussion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store