Polypterus pen pal

Wannabe Poly Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2024
Somewhat, due where they're from (lake Turkana in Kenya). The area is pretty remote, and lacking in facilities for easy transport/travel. There's also some worry about getting caught in potential tribal disputes. This makes them a bit challenging to gather.

That said, they do appear occasionally. I got mine from dnz03dw off eBay. I think waterfront slc has some ATM too.
Thank you for the info

Wannabe Poly Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2024
Today I scored a sweet deal on these pieces of wood plus a 4 foot led light all for $100! The big piece of driftwood is 24” long. I decided a while back I was going to do this tank with a House of The Dragon theme and I noticed after I purchased these that the big piece kinda looks like a dragon skull. Of course when I got home I had to do some mock up concepts for the 75. Here are my favorites so far (please excuse my messy workspace)

Attachments

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I like 2 and 4 above.

I kept a few.
The ornates (2) I kept were both chill. I never seen them bully except for a minor bump out the way to get food. But they are predatory and will hunt things that fit in their mouths.
I really like the ancient look of the LJ species and del is one of my favouries.

On the smaller side of UJ species I really loved my P. palmas. They were active but docile and easy to care for.
The P. weeksii on the other hand was such a pretty fish but hid a lot.

Reactions: Wannabe Poly Guy

Wannabe Poly Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2024
I like 2 and 4 above.

I kept a few.
The ornates (2) I kept were both chill. I never seen them bully except for a minor bump out the way to get food. But they are predatory and will hunt things that fit in their mouths.
I really like the ancient look of the LJ species and del is one of my favouries.

On the smaller side of UJ species I really loved my P. palmas. They were active but docile and easy to care for.
The P. weeksii on the other hand was such a pretty fish but hid a lot.
Thank you! I would love to have an ornate and weeksii in my 180. Actually while I’m on that topic would a 125 with dimensions
72”Lx24”Wx17”Tall be adequate for larger UJs like ornate and weeksii? Only asking because I’ve found one within driving distance for pretty cheap money

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
From what I remember foot print of tank is much more important than height especially length. I have seen 18"-20" bichirs here kept in 90-100 gal tanks for years.
They are not a super-active, swim-around using-all-space type of fish. But they do need it when they get a burst of energy or fright. They get going and can damaging themselves.

I personally think both would be fine in a 125gal although others with more experience would likely comment in favor of the larger tank. This me MonsterFK and all

Reactions: Wannabe Poly Guy

Wannabe Poly Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2024
From what I remember foot print of tank is much more important than height especially length. I have seen 18"-20" bichirs here kept in 90-100 gal tanks for years.
They are not a super-active, swim-around using-all-space type of fish. But they do need it when they get a burst of energy or fright. They get going and can damaging themselves.

I personally think both would be fine in a 125gal although others with more experience would likely comment in favor of the larger tank. This me MonsterFK and all
I just wasn’t sure if there’s a such thing as too short when it comes to bichirs

Wannabe Poly Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2024
DC737DA1-883C-478F-8CC2-C25AEE3EF61E.jpegA68665A4-F287-4184-82B8-16AE16D80B71.jpeg
Update to this thread I acquired some more driftwood and I think the scape for the 75 will look something like this. Second picture has cardboard cut outs of fish for a visual. Also wondering who on here has experience with P. Beut.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store